FVM build maybe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I'm considering another build, I'm using a GF now but previously had a recirculating BIAB system until it leaked once too often.

What I'm interested in is a full volume system were the mash is not in the boiler (like a BrewEasy or Counter top Brutus 20) as this would enable me to automate the system right through to cooling.

I was happy with the beer my Biab kit made and I see no reason that a two vessel FVM shouldn't work perfectly well, although with the possibility of reduced efficiency compared with a sparged system.

However before I put too much effort into it I'd like to ask for your thoughts on this type of design.

Advantages.
easier to automate
clear wort into the boiler ( Ok this may not matter)
spent grain can be allowed to cool before dumping.

Disadvantages.
more equipment
more cleaning.

So what do you think?

Thanks All. Aamcle

Speaking to your desire to consider options before putting too much effort in:

A 10gal round cooler + SS ball lock & bulkhead + brew bag could get you there for less than a bennie.

Your efficiency will take a small hit if you opt to forgo any sparging at all, but it's just a bit more grains.

The bags allow for fairly clear wort, even without recirc.
Spent grain can be cooled before dumping
Cleaning both the cooler-tun and the bag is easy and simple.

No additional hardware is *needed* for a MAIB setup. A bazooka tube or false bottom wouldn't hurt, but it's not necessary when utilizing a bag.

You would have the added advantage of batch sparging a very big beer down the line with the same equipment. It's just a matter of doing multiple runnings vs just one with no-sparge.

I had a 40litre recirculation biab built into a manual water boiler unfortunately I'd built the pump into the base and I had ongoing leaks.

That went and I bought a Grainfather it's very functional but less satisfying than my own builds.

What I'd like to automat from mash through to cooling and to do that I need to have the mash in a separate vessel to the kettle for example similar layout to a BrewEasy.

Calculations indicate that that if I keep my batch size to 23litres I can use the GrainFather boiler with one of the control boxes I have already built.I

I just need a mashtun and a false bottom and then to automate the system :)

Back