Future brew letdown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beninan

Reaction score
For the past month I have been planning on brewing a Dogfish Head 60 min clone, actually Yooper's clone https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-60-minute-clone-ag-extract-25709/. I had DH 60 min before and really liked it, so last month I bought a bottle along with 3 other IPAs (Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Sam Adams Latitude 48, and Hop Wallop) to get my tastebuds in the hop mood, and saved the DH 60 min for last.

Well.... after drinking the other three over the course of the past week and after just finishing the DH 60 about 10 minutes ago, I am very disappointed in the taste compared to the other 3 I bought.

So now I'm stuck between brewing a clone of one of the other 3 I tried, creating my own IPA, or brewing Yooper's clone (and hope that the people that said it was better than DH 60 weren't lying).

Has anyone else had any disappointing moments like this? I was all set on brewing this and I was going to pick up my ingredients tomorrow, but now I'm not so sure.... I guess out of the 4, SN Torpedo was my favorite by a long shot. Maybe I should make a clone of that instead. Maybe I'm just babbling about nothing. Maybe someone who is less intoxicated than me should reply and help me out on my decision....

For the past month I have been planning on brewing a Dogfish Head 60 min clone, actually Yooper's clone https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/dogfish-head-60-minute-clone-ag-extract-25709/. I had DH 60 min before and really liked it, so last month I bought a bottle along with 3 other IPAs (Sierra Nevada Torpedo, Sam Adams Latitude 48, and Hop Wallop) to get my tastebuds in the hop mood, and saved the DH 60 min for last.

Well.... after drinking the other three over the course of the past week and after just finishing the DH 60 about 10 minutes ago, I am very disappointed in the taste compared to the other 3 I bought.

So now I'm stuck between brewing a clone of one of the other 3 I tried, creating my own IPA, or brewing Yooper's clone (and hope that the people that said it was better than DH 60 weren't lying).

Has anyone else had any disappointing moments like this? I was all set on brewing this and I was going to pick up my ingredients tomorrow, but now I'm not so sure.... I guess out of the 4, SN Torpedo was my favorite by a long shot. Maybe I should make a clone of that instead. Maybe I'm just babbling about nothing. Maybe someone who is less intoxicated than me should reply and help me out on my decision....

Oh yeah, you are babblng all rght. Look, you started out to make Yooper's recipe, then you drank some other stuff that you seem to lke better. But you haven't made Yooper's recipe so how do you know? ...

yea I guess you're right. But this was going to be my first 10 gallon batch, so I would hate to make 10 gallons of something that I don't really prefer. It also makes it especially difficult where others have said Yooper's recipe tastes better than the original, and if so, in what ways? Maybe I'll just make Yooper's recipe...

make a clone of torpedo if you like it better. even now, i change my plans on what i'm going to brew as soon as the day before. torpedo is my favorite ipa, so i can speak for it

I thought of making a clone of it, but I could only find one recipe and it seemed to be an experimental batch. I would like to see several clone recipes of it to compare the differences, but like I said, I only found one. maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

yea I guess you're right. But this was going to be my first 10 gallon batch, so I would hate to make 10 gallons of something that I don't really prefer. It also makes it especially difficult where others have said Yooper's recipe tastes better than the original, and if so, in what ways? Maybe I'll just make Yooper's recipe...

I haven't made Yooper's recipe ether. But , look, she has been at ths foe a whle. Does that not count for somethng? Do as you like. But you are a newb guessing about an expereced brewer. No disrespect intended. You won't know until you do it....

maybe you should start with a 10 gal batch of a beer you know you like.. leave the experimenting to the smaller batches. ?

I haven't made Yooper's recipe ether. But , look, she has been at ths foe a whle. Does that not count for somethng? Do as you like. But you are a newb guessing about an expereced brewer. No disrespect intended. You won't know until you do it....

not everyone's tastes are the same. maybe he's got something he likes better. i've found yoop to be a very reliable source, and resource, full of very good advice. but my tastes and experience have led me down different paths, and i take her info, and temper it a little

I'm not guessing about her brewing experience/ability. I'm second guessing my taste buds about a brew that I use to like up until right before I decided to make it.

maybe you should start with a 10 gal batch of a beer you know you like.. leave the experimenting to the smaller batches. ?

This was going to be a 10 gallon batch of a beer I knew I liked, up until now.

But hey, I have 2 empty taps. So maybe I'll take the advice of both of you and make 5 gallons of Yooper's clone, and 5 gallons of a clone of SN Torpedo if I can find a good one...

hows that, youve never made it before?

But hey, I have 2 empty taps. So maybe I'll take the advice of both of you and make 5 gallons of Yooper's clone, and 5 gallons of a clone of SN Torpedo if I can find a good one...

thats a great idea.. twice the brewing.:D

hows that, youve never made it before?

I've never made the clone batch. What I meant- "It (DH 60 min clone) was going to be a 10 gallon batch of beer I knew I liked (as in the real DH 60 min), up until now". And where the clone recipe is a clone, one would assume that it would taste very similar to the real thing. That's where part of my questioning was coming from, where some people, including Yooper herself I believe, said it tastes better than the real thing.

That is one of the most Solomonesk wise decisions I could have imagined.:rockin:

I've never made the clone batch. What I meant- "It (DH 60 min clone) was going to be a 10 gallon batch of beer I knew I liked (as in the real DH 60 min), up until now". And where the clone recipe is a clone, one would assume that it would taste very similar to the real thing. That's where part of my questioning was coming from, where some people, including Yooper herself I believe, said it tastes better than the real thing.

similar, yes ;)

im just playing devils advocate.... but in truth, since youve never brewed the clone before, its still "technically" an experimental brew.. for you.

similar, yes ;)

im just playing devils advocate.... but in truth, since youve never brewed the clone before, its still "technically" an experimental brew.. for you.

yes I'll agree with you there. I was thinking that if it did taste very similar to the real thing, then I wouldn't mind making 10 gallons. But now I guess my taste buds have moved on to a better place, so 5 gallons should be adequate.

yes I'll agree with you there. I was thinking that if it did taste very similar to the real thing, then I wouldn't mind making 10 gallons. But now I guess my taste buds have moved on to a better place, so 5 gallons should be adequate.

but who knows.. maybe the clone recipe, done with your LHBS's (or your) mill, and "beered" in your homebrewery... might be just different enough from the "real thing" that its perfect for your taste buds.

anyway, if you make 5 gal, and you dont like it, its easier to power through 5 gal than 10 :).

edit: IF you do like it... then make 10 gal next time.. then youll have 15 gal.. whoo hooo

but who knows.. maybe the clone recipe, done with your LHBS's (or your) mill, and "beered" in your homebrewery... might be just different enough from the "real thing" that its perfect for your taste buds.

anyway, if you make 5 gal, and you dont like it, its easier to power through 5 gal than 10 :).

edit: IF you do like it... then make 10 gal next time.. then youll have 15 gal.. whoo hooo

Yea I'll do 5 gallons instead. One reason I wanted to do 10 gallons was to have 5 gallons kegged and 5 gallons bottled. So maybe I'll only keg 3 gallons and bottle the other 2.

Its sounds like you're less of an East Coast IPA fan (less hoppy, more malt / English influence) and more of a West Coast fan (over the top crazy aroma / flavor hops, less malty sweetness). Chalk it up to experience and brew something different next time.

I say go for it! If you end up not preferring have a kick ass party (or with 10 gallons maybe two) and watch others enjoy it!

Latest posts

Back