Furnace for new shop/brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWiK

Reaction score
I just finished my new shop / brewing area. I am wanting to add heat to the shop, and was initially thinking about one of these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577751_200577751

But then started thinking having it kick on while brewing and stiring up dust etc probably wasn't good.

The other option I am thinking about is one of these
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200455648_200455648
but I don't have any experience with them, and even though they are the same BTU I have a hard time making myself believe they will heat the whole shop as well.

Any one have any suggestions on the best heat for a brewing area?

They are different heat applications. The first is forced air. It heats the air. I wouldn't worry about the air movement. You know how many of us brew in the garage with the door open and wind howling through the neighborhood? I don't think a little heater flow will do you any harm. Plus, your greatest concern would be after the boil when you've already heated your shop pretty well. The infrared heats surfaces. This means you need to be cautious on the product specs, as to how high your ceiling/mounting point needs to be. The nice thing about infrared is that you are a surface in the room, so you feel the heat right away. Also, if you have concrete floors and you need to work on the floor you can preheat the floor. For example, you're going to work on your car. Before you pull the car in, turn on the heater for a bit. Pull in the car and you're not laying on a frozen slab. When you're on your feet, the slab isn't sucking the heat out of your feet.

What's your shop size and ceiling hight?

Thanks

Now that you bring up ceiling height, it looks like even the 30,000 btu model requires 12' ceiling height. And doing the math,(Cubic feet x .133 x desired temp rise = BTUs needed.) it looks to me I am going to need absolute minimum 45 k btu and 80+K would be required to get it up to 60 degrees when it is 0 outside. The tube one looks nice, but it is out of my price range and still low on BTU's. So that kind of takes me back to the forced air I guess. Maybe add something like this to the mix just to help keep warm in the morning when the furnace is working to get up to temp.

Back