Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they call it global climate change now. The average temperature is still higher, but some places are colder than they were. The weather is all screwed up. The ice caps are melting rapidly. It's real.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A2 using Home Brew mobile app

Except for where they're growing at the south pole... In the middle of the summer... And many of those same government scientists(<yea right lol) are starting to say global cooling again like they were in the 60s and 70s. I'll bet many of those scientists and politicians don't even know how that term came about.

jhoneycutt said:
Except for where they're growing at the south pole... In the middle of the summer... And many of those same government scientists(<yea right lol) are starting to say global cooling again like they were in the 60s and 70s. I'll bet many of those scientists and politicians don't even know how that term came about.

Seriously people? There's a debate forum for this crap. You guys are killing my buzz....

I apologize for starting the off thread global warming comment. But will Canada get more micro breweries if they can grow barley farther north?

I remember when I was a toddler,pop would be cuttin wood & set his bottle of beer on a stump. I'd rip it & drink it all,or most of it. Beer had more beer flavor back then though. Unlike today's watery offerings. I wish I could pinpoint what made it more flavorfull in regard to the beer itself,not just hops. Or maybe it was a combo of the grains & hops used that gave it more beer flavor. I hope y'all understand my meaning,but after 54 years or so,it's tuff to remember every detail. Beer's like Stroh's (original recipe),Blatz,Black Label,Falstaff,POC,etc. They all had more flavor back then vs now. But Carling Black Label stands out as a flavorfull one I always liked.

Carling Black Label? Was just sipping one....

ForumRunner_20140113_191133.jpg

Back in 2010 stadiums here in South Africa were only allowed to serve Budweiser at FIFA World Cup matches due to sponsorship.

Funny Things You've Overheard About Beer:

"This isn't so bad"
Random person drinking warm bud out of a plastic bottle.

Back in 2010 stadiums here in South Africa were only allowed to serve Budweiser at FIFA World Cup matches due to sponsorship.

Funny Things You've Overheard About Beer:

"This isn't so bad"
Random person drinking warm bud out of a plastic bottle.

There was a big stink about that when they held the World Cup in Germany in 2006. The Germans tried to find a way to get their beers in, but nope, FIFA already inked the deal with Budweiser. That was one of the big reasons they started the Fan Zones in towns (usually the main square, large screens with all sorts of beer and food for sale, like 5-10 Euros to get in). Interestingly even non-German cities had them (I attended ones in Ulm, Munich and Prague).

Gometz: Had the Fanzones here too and apparently they were pretty cool. Managed to get tickets to four games and for the last 2 got some whiskey smuggled in to mix with my water aka beer. All in all was great.

Don't forget vortexes, vents (OR DOUBLEEE VENTS!) or color-changing paint. All of which make it taste better, right?

A friend is a packaging engineer. He told me that the vortex bottle grooves are upside down from what would actually create a vortex while pouring. That's because the way the glass bottle is manufactured, a working vortex groove system was impossible to add. So it's even more bull**** than it sounds.

That's my uncle. He lives within walking distance of the Sierra Nevada brewery and drinks Budweiser exclusively because beer isn't supposed to be about enjoyment, it's an alcohol delivery method, nothing more or less.

Why Budweiser specifically? Ya gotta buy Amurrican! None of these froofy imports like Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, or New Belgium!

Oh god. I too have gotten the "I don't mind craft beers, I'm just too patriotic" [and therefore will stick to American BMC]

today...

coworker: did you see they're gonna resurrect the old Miller Lite? same style original cans and all!
me: I don't care about Miller Lite. or any other "Light" beer for that matter.
coworker: you gotta start watching football. they tell you what new beers are coming out.
me::smack: I'll stick to my beer nerd friends and not a bunch of big guys in tights trying to hug each other roughly for beer info.

today...

coworker: did you see they're gonna resurrect the old Miller Lite? same style original cans and all!
me: I don't care about Miller Lite. or any other "Light" beer for that matter.
coworker: you gotta start watching football. they tell you what new beers are coming out.
me::smack: I'll stick to my beer nerd friends and not a bunch of big guys in tights trying to hug each other roughly for beer info.

Woah there, nothing wrong with football.

Just imagine how much better it would be without the Irish...

Who are you callin' average? :drunk:

EDIT: Carling Black Label in addition to PBR (I call 'em peebers... like pee beer) is a hipster as hell beer 'round these parts... Genesee Cream Ale too. I was rollin' with a pretty hipster crowd a few years back they're too snobby- even for me- also ditched the mustache for a beard.

Let me just go on record and say that Carling Black Label, PBR, Genny Cream and Stroh's (it was all malt/no adjunct at one time) are all very acceptable yellow beers in my opinion.

Carry on.

Woah there, nothing wrong with football.

Is that the sportsball game where they forgot that balls are supposed to be spherical? I think I'm being taxed, despite a vote to the contrary, for their playground. For some reason they forgot to build a roof though so the joke is on them.

A recent trip to Chicago for work landed me in several of the local brewpubs. During one visit I couldn't help but overhear a couple guys talking some serious beer. Both college guys and one going for marketing, they were going over plans to open a brewery and deciding between types (brewpub or not), and a plan of action for flagship beers. Couldn't help but start a conversation and ask how long they have been brewing and such, but when I mentioned something about grains the reply was, "were brewing with extract".

Nothing against extract, but it took a lot to not let out a chuckle.

Is that the sportsball game where they forgot that balls are supposed to be spherical?

Yeah, you know, that sport USAmericans call "football" where the ball almost NEVER actually touches the foot.

As opposed to what the rest of the world calls "football" where the players are ONLY allowed to touch the ball with their foot.

Or, what you might know as "soccer."

Yeah, you know, that sport USAmericans call "football" where the ball almost NEVER actually touches the foot.

As opposed to what the rest of the world calls "football" where the players are ONLY allowed to touch the ball with their foot.

Well actually...

There are punters and kickers in football.

Or Rugby Football which feet touch the ball, has full contact without any real pads or helmets, and no sissy downs and game stoppages.

GaySoccer.jpg

I kid I kid, no hate for any sport. And sport is defined by scoring rather than judging. And physical exertion/breaking a sweat. (Though I may have to include golf as a sport exclusively on the merit that you get to drink while playing)

Oh please. Don't start that crap. I am so sick of hearing it. Football originally refered to being played on foot as opposed to on a horse. Not that you kick the ball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Home Brew mobile app

kombat said:
I said "ALMOST never."

The winner is determined by te score. The foot is involved in nearly every scoring play, except for the rare safeties and 2-point conversions.

I'm not sure why the sport that "USAmericans" call "football" is so different from the CFL. You know, the Canadian Football League.

Oh please. Don't start that crap. I am so sick of hearing it. Football originally refered to being played on foot as opposed to on a horse. Not that you kick the ball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Home Brew mobile app

So why then do they call that other game POLO instead of horse ball?:confused:

To alleviate the confusion, I propose we start calling it "Juiced Up Millionaires Giving Each Other Brain Damage"

In one of the rarer instances in world history, I find myself agreeing with kombat; football is a silly name for this sport in the US. I am proposing a new one, and offer the following argument for its adoption:

handegg.jpg

Sports! Helmet touch.

http://giphy.com/gifs/pU93FUbstxMC4

...Both college guys and one going for marketing, they were going over plans to open a brewery and deciding between types (brewpub or not), and a plan of action for flagship beers. Couldn't help but start a conversation and ask how long they have been brewing and such, but when I mentioned something about grains the reply was, "were brewing with extract".

Agree that there is nothing wrong w/ extract at least for homebrewers (I use it occasionally- almost always for bottle priming)... I have always wondered though: at the micro-brew/ pub scale wouldn't it be more expensive (at least long term) to go extract than AG even with a mill, HLT, MLT, and factoring mash time for a product you have less control over? It's probably because I have learned a lot about beer since going AG- I think it's waay easier than extract.

Don't forget vortexes, vents (OR DOUBLEEE VENTS!) or color-changing paint. All of which make it taste better, right?

I was at a small town bar a few years back and one of the yokels kept having the bartender fill her vortex bottle from the tap, because it tasted SOOO much better. She was smashed, so I'm not sure how passionate she really was.

A recent trip to Chicago for work landed me in several of the local brewpubs. During one visit I couldn't help but overhear a couple guys talking some serious beer. Both college guys and one going for marketing, they were going over plans to open a brewery and deciding between types (brewpub or not), and a plan of action for flagship beers. Couldn't help but start a conversation and ask how long they have been brewing and such, but when I mentioned something about grains the reply was, "were brewing with extract".

Nothing against extract, but it took a lot to not let out a chuckle.

Please tell us you pressed them further on their plan... not only for the laughs but also to plant the seed in their minds that full grain brewing is a much better idea for a commercial operation.
Did it seem like they had any intention to move to AG, or did they really seem to have no idea that you could :D

Back