Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a long hiatus from brewing due to kids and in the meantime commercial magkeolli (Korean lacto rice beer with a LOT of sediment at the bottom of each bottle) brewing really took off. Which is great for me when I serve homebrew everyone now understands about yeast sediment, even the most dedicated of piss pilsner drinkers.

Man, I had some of that when I was in Seoul this summer. I couldn't quite put my finger on what gave it that flavor, and now it all makes sense.

Man, I had some of that when I was in Seoul this summer. I couldn't quite put my finger on what gave it that flavor, and now it all makes sense.

Well they also throw in everything from corn to beans to rye to honey to ginseng depending on the batch.

Traditionally they let it start to ferment and then drink it before it finishes fermenting so it isn't completely sour. That made it hard to sell commercially as all the bottles would explode for obvious reasons but these days for commercial stuff (AFAIK) what they usually do is:
1. Use a smaller grain bill than is traditional.
2. Let it ferment out (well not wait months and months for the lacto to finish but get it close enough, bottles won't explode since it's pretty lightly carbonated).
3. Back sweeten (sometimes to a ludicrous extent).

If you can get your hands on the real stuff that doesn't do that it's incredible (especially if you've acquired the taste for it or have it nice and cold on the top of a mountain after a hike).

More fun with cider...

He notes that you can make cider sweet by putting in so much sugar that the yeast conk out and can't eat it all. He says that requires hitting an ABV of 14%, he it seems he's using wine yeast for cider. Interesting.

To his credit he does say that using Campden tablets is a better idea than going nuts on the sugar.

Then he talks about priming and, as before, he seems claims that "drought" means completely uncarbonated.

He also recommends that you bottle cider with all of the bottles upside down, then when it's finished conditioning, hold each bottle over the sink (still upside down) and quick screw off and then screw on the cap again so that yeast sediment goes down the drain.

That sounds messy.

Up next: some more specific cider recipes.

That's hilarious. Did he not have sediment in his beer bottles?

He also recommends that you bottle cider with all of the bottles upside down, then when it's finished conditioning, hold each bottle over the sink (still upside down) and quick screw off and then screw on the cap again so that yeast sediment goes down the drain.

Well actually...

This is a method I have heard of (methode traditionelle-BYO). I think the idea was originally to do sparkling wine/ciders. The champagne bottles are stored upside down and jostled occasionally so all sediment drops to the neck. The neck is frozen and you uncap and let the sediment shoot out. Then you can cap or back sweeten. Sounds risky.

Well actually...

This is a method I have heard of (methode traditionelle-BYO). I think the idea was originally to do sparkling wine/ciders. The champagne bottles are stored upside down and jostled occasionally so all sediment drops to the neck. The neck is frozen and you uncap and let the sediment shoot out. Then you can cap or back sweeten. Sounds risky.

Yeah, I've heard of that as well. No freezing here though...

Maybe it's not as much about the funny things you "hear" about beer as it is the LOOK you might get when you mention you home brew. You know the look I mean...

Wife (to her friend): "My husband brews his own beer!"

Friend (sudden change in countenance): "Oh, re-e-ally?!" While glancing at me with a strained smile of feigned interest that cannot disguise her disgust and pity. A look that says, Poor man. He can't afford to BUY the beer he obviously 'needs', so he makes his own. In secret! And undoubtedly drinks it ALL! Gosh, I wonder if his wife knows about his problem? I don't want to hear anymore. Get me outa here!

Wife: "Oh yes! He just loves it! And he has ME to thank! I think I've created a monster!" (giggle, giggle)

Friend: "Ha, ha." (leaves)

Maybe it's not as much about the funny things you "hear" about beer as it is the LOOK you might get when you mention you home brew. You know the look I mean...

Friend (sudden change in countenance): "Oh, re-e-ally?!" While glancing at me with a strained smile of feigned interest that cannot disguise her disgust and pity. A look that says, Poor man. He can't afford to BUY the beer he obviously 'needs', so he makes his own. In secret! And undoubtedly drinks it ALL! Gosh, I wonder if his wife knows about his problem? I don't want to hear anymore. Get me outa here!

Wife: "Oh yes! He just loves it! And he has ME to thank! I think I've created a monster!" (giggle, giggle)

"Awkward things that happened around beer"

Sounds painful and I know the look!

I still can't get over some asking if home brewing is even legal, or why I drink so much?! I get tired of explaining that I-we don't drink all 5 gallons in one sitting.

I think your wife needs a new "friend"!

I told my roommate-to-be that I'm going to be brewing beer after I move in, and that her and her friends are welcome to help themselves since I plan on making 5 gallon batches. I figure her and her social circle would be more responsible with it than my current "roommates".

In a snobby tone her friend told me, "I only drink imports".

Well lah-dee-dah, more for me :D

I told my roommate-to-be that I'm going to be brewing beer after I move in, and that her and her friends are welcome to help themselves since I plan on making 5 gallon batches. I figure her and her social circle would be more responsible with it than my current "roommates".

I'd be happy to send her some Bud Light. It's imported! :mug:

Walking out of my LHBS I overheard a lady asking some dude about brewing.

Her "You can make beer at home?"
Him "Yeah, the initial cost is high but it gets cheaper"
Her "So it saves you money over time?"
Him "Not if you only drink Busch Light"

Beer does taste way better when it crosses sovereign borders. It really gives it that foreign taste.

we need a 'U suck' button

y2Rh1XK.gif

Never thought I'd hear someone try to pronounce IPA as a word myself, but it happened yesterday: "I'd like the Little Rain ippa, please." Just made me smile...

Here in Sweden it is normal for people to pronounce it like a Swedish word and not like an abriviation from the English language. You kinda get used to it, but it still annoys me to a certain extend. Though I have cought myself hating it more when being used that way by hipster folk. My regular crowd knows better yet they are used to that way.

Writing this I feel so snobby, even though I hardly ever correct anyone. Only when they look at me weird or comment when I say it "right"....

Back