Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how a wort would turn out if it was boiled at room temp by placing it under a vacuum?

Conversely, could you make your own DME by pressure cooking wort at 350F and opening the cooker (remotely) while it is inside some sort of silo with an exhaust fan at the top to pull out the steam while the DME rained down?

Moreover, how many other ways can an ages old process become questionable and possibly even lethal with the application of thought?

They make DME by a fine spray mist of the wort in a hot air flow/chamber or something. Saw it once & trying to remember? It rains down on a conveyor as a hydroscopic powder.

They make DME by a fine spray mist of the wort in a hot air flow/chamber or something. Saw it once & trying to remember? It rains down on a conveyor as a hydroscopic powder.

That is interesting! I had often wondered how they do it...

:)

I wonder how a wort would turn out if it was boiled at room temp by placing it under a vacuum?

Whilst the wort would boil under those conditions, you'd get no hop isomerisation; so very low bitterness. Although the boil temp would be reduced, the point at which alpha acids isomerise wouldn't*. So you might make bud light?

*If my understanding is correct, the chemical change will be governed by Arrhenius' Law which is temperature dependant but does not have a pressure variable ( waiting for a well actually- I'm an engineer not a chemist, but remember studying Arrhenius in relation to resin hardening rates so assuming it will apply to this chemical change also)

Whilst the wort would boil under those conditions, you'd get no hop isomerisation; so very low bitterness. Although the boil temp would be reduced, the point at which alpha acids isomerise wouldn't*. So you might make bud light?

*If my understanding is correct, the chemical change will be governed by Arrhenius' Law which is temperature dependant but does not have a pressure variable ( waiting for a well actually- I'm an engineer not a chemist, but remember studying Arrhenius in relation to resin hardening rates so assuming it will apply to this chemical change also)

I'd never get rid of my FIL!

So since liquid boils at 204f where I'm at I guess all my bitterness calculations are off?

So since liquid boils at 204f where I'm at I guess all my bitterness calculations are off?

At risk of starting a derail, yes. Your calculations will be based on the isomerisation rate when Wort =212F , so 204F will have a lower rate, but it won't be hugely out. if you enjoy your beers then keep doing what your doing. In other words, RDWHAHB

As I understand it (which may or may not be correct) is at approximately 190 is where hops become utilized. I had the the pico brew doesn't actually boil the wort but still gets all the alpha acids.

As I understand it (which may or may not be correct) is at approximately 190 is where hops become utilized. I had the the pico brew doesn't actually boil the wort but still gets all the alpha acids.

I found a BYO article that said 175f (79°C). Not boiling but above 175F will do the trick but don't expect the ibu's from 60 minutes at 212F to be the same after 60 mins @ 190.

Oh god, it's been ages since I've heard someone overhearing someone telling a friend that Guinness is a meal in a glass! The horror! Can't we get back to stories about Blue Moon on an "import" draft list?

big-lebowski-the-dude-is-bored.gif
OH MY GAWD

Didn't this thread have something to do with humor or something?

Oh god, it's been ages since I've heard someone overhearing someone telling a friend that Guinness is a meal in a glass! The horror! Can't we get back to stories about Blue Moon on an "import" draft list?
I did have people describe my Arrogant Bastard clone as "like Guinness". But then again, in my area, anything that's > 9 SRM is "like Guinness". Variety is having Pilsener and Helles on tap.

I did have people describe my Arrogant Bastard clone as "like Guinness". But then again, in my area, anything that's > 9 SRM is "like Guinness". Variety is having Pilsener and Helles on tap.

Remember back in college some group organized a beer taste test with a bunch of macro brews with prizes for people who could identify the beer. Was hilarious how many people guessed that some randm amber lager was Guiness.

So, I'm out walking with a group of friends, and some of us planned to go to the local bottle & tap shop for a pint or two. The shop focuses on mostly Northwest craft beer. One of the guys with us used to work for a beverage distributor back in the early days of craft, distributing Pyramid, Full Sail and Widmer. As I'm sipping my half pint of a local IPA, he sets down his pint of Fremont Brewing's First Nail, an Imperial Stout, with a shell-shocked look on his face. He hadn't read the electronic menu closely enough to see that it was $16 a pint. Then, about halfway through his pint, you can tell he's feeling it. When I mention it is 11% ABV he gets another shocked look - it's on the menu also, he just didn't read it. But the funny thing I heard about this beer was when I was double-checking the style of the beer while writing this, and saw on BA that someone called it "a tad watery". Calling it a tad watery is like calling John Candy "a tad thin".

Water vapor is visible, it's called fog/clouds. Condensed water vapor is called rain. :D

I'm not going to argue, except to tell you you're wrong. Look it up.

Sorry for derailing further...but as I understand it clouds/fog are water in liquid form, not vapor.

So, I'm out walking with a group of friends, and some of us planned to go to the local bottle & tap shop for a pint or two. The shop focuses on mostly Northwest craft beer. One of the guys with us used to work for a beverage distributor back in the early days of craft, distributing Pyramid, Full Sail and Widmer. As I'm sipping my half pint of a local IPA, he sets down his pint of Fremont Brewing's First Nail, an Imperial Stout, with a shell-shocked look on his face. He hadn't read the electronic menu closely enough to see that it was $16 a pint. Then, about halfway through his pint, you can tell he's feeling it. When I mention it is 11% ABV he gets another shocked look - it's on the menu also, he just didn't read it. But the funny thing I heard about this beer was when I was double-checking the style of the beer while writing this, and saw on BA that someone called it "a tad watery". Calling it a tad watery is like calling John Candy "a tad thin".

I'd be shell shocked too if i paid 16$ for 1 beer :drunk:

That's BA for ya!

*facepalms*

I've made at least a half dozen batches of the Westy 12 clone and still haven't tried the real thing. But on this side of the pond you won't find it for $27.

I've been following that thread for a while but have yet to make any. It's like a decoction mash, I will get round to trying one one day....

I've got a bottle here and just waiting to buy a bottle of St Bernardus for a side by side- so many people say they're almost indistinguishable so I want to know for myself if that's just one of those funny things I overheard about beer!

Some guy in another thread just posted that gluten free beer gives him the sh!ts. I thought that was pretty funny. Then someone pointed out that he must be either intolerant of gluten intolerance or gluten dependent. I thought that was even funnier. Carry on

I heard that there are some people out there that are fond enough of beer to pay ungodly prices for just 1 bottle. I just brewed a 6 gallon batch of pale ale, that is really good by the way, and it cost me $17. People pay that, and way more, for a single beer and I think that is funny. :goat:

I'd try my hand at a westy 12 clone anytime, but there's no way I can get csi syrups or anything close for a reasonable price here. And homemade syrups are almost as unpredictable as homemade beer ;)

Funny things about beer:
My wife said: there's a documentary about beer on tv, take a look! There was this swedish guy who travelled through europe comparing different bulk lagers and emphazising the lack of difference (d'oh). And at one point he went to the Westvleteren monastery, and got a few bottles after some apparently major difficulties...

And when he "tasted" it straight out of the bottle, sitting on/in the trunk of his car, I was like: nnnnoooooooooooooo.............

But when he said something like: these particular circumstances made the tasting experience even better for him. And I'm thinking: Wait, what...? Can you drink the maybe-the-best-and-hardest-to-get-in-the-world (?) beer like this and not want it any other way? Should I think it's ok? Is this a funny thing overheard about beer?

I don't know. I'm still confused and this was like 6 months ago.

I've been following that thread for a while but have yet to make any. It's like a decoction mash, I will get round to trying one one day....

I've got a bottle here and just waiting to buy a bottle of St Bernardus for a side by side- so many people say they're almost indistinguishable so I want to know for myself if that's just one of those funny things I overheard about beer!

Let me know how the side-by-side comparison goes. I prefer the Westy 12 clone to St. Bernardus ABT 12. (Except when I screw up a batch, I am not claiming to be a Brewmeister).

Westy 12 has so much hype behind it that I am sure to be disappointed when I finally try it. Or maybe not?

Here is something funny (or sad): A few years ago I was in Belgian for more than a week but knew nothing about Belgian beer. I would walk by the beer shelves and buy a bottle of wine. Yes, I am still kicking myself.

I heard that there are some people out there that are fond enough of beer to pay ungodly prices for just 1 bottle. I just brewed a 6 gallon batch of pale ale, that is really good by the way, and it cost me $17. People pay that, and way more, for a single beer and I think that is funny. :goat:

I've spent the last few years overseas and regularly pay that much for a BMC type beer in several countries. I won't bat an eye at a $7 pint of craft beer on tap anymore.

I've spent the last few years overseas and regularly pay that much for a BMC type beer in several countries. I won't bat an eye at a $7 pint of craft beer on tap anymore.

I rarely buy beer for myself anymore and refuse to pay more than $5 a pint for a good craft beer when I go out. I think my beer is as good, or better than 90% of the craft out there, and I can brew several gallons for what just a few pints cost. Nothing pisses me off more than to order a $5 pint and have it be less of a beer than I could have had at home.

There are 40 pints in a 5 gallon batch of beer and at $5 each that's $200 a batch. At $17 a bottle it's closer to a GRAND for 5 gallons, if the bottles are the standard 12 oz size. A GRAND! I can brew for a couple years for a grand and buy a **** ton of new equipment to play with. I have said it before and I'll say it again, " A beer that costs more than $10 a pint better cause spontaneous orgasms!"

:goat:
:mug:

Back