Funny smell from hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
I sniffed at a 1/2 ounce bag of cascades in my fridge last night. The hops have been in a ziplock bag there since mid November (I guess). In addition to the usual hops smell I thought I caught a whiff of something vaguely cheesy. So the question is, is that slight scent an indication that the hops are degrading? If it is, could I still use them as a 60 min bittering addition without worrying?

They're bad hops. If it's only a 1/2 oz, just throw them out. Or, you could leave them alone for a few more months and use them for a lambic. Ziploc bags won't cut it for saving hops...you'll need something that's 100% airtight.

Agreed, they are not worth saving. Next time, seal the saved hops as best you can with the minimum of air in a sealed bag (Seal Ameal vacuum is great for this) and wrap them in foil. Light is also damaging to hops in storage.

Dr Malt

Latest posts

Back