funny after taste ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
So I brewed (BIAB) a clone of golden monkey and it has a weird taste. The first taste is good and very close to the real thing, but the after taste is off. Maybe a little sweet on the back of the tongue after you swallow, but not in a good way. The other thing is that there is no head retention despite carb'ing to 3.5 vol CO2 (keg).

So here are the details: brewed it 12/12/15 and let it ferment and sit in primary until 1/10/16. At this point I kegged it and force carb'd a small amount in a 1 L bottle using a carbonator cap... it tasted amazing. Unfortunately I put it in my freezer portion of side by side kegerator for a few days and it froze- :smack: my thermometer said it was 34 degrees but it was actually closer to 5 degrees. I let it thaw out at basement temp 65 degrees then carb'd it over a couple weeks.

Here is the recipe:
5.5 gallons
13.125 lbs pilsner malt
0.53 lb. flaked barley
6 oz. Belgian aromatic malt
4 oz. Belgian biscuit malt
1.58 lb. cane sugar
Mash at 150F for 90 mins.

0.7 oz. Horizon 13% 60 min.
0.3 oz. French Strisselspalt pellets 4% 10 min.
0.5 oz. (0.53 oz)freshly ground coriander 5 min.
WLP550, 1.5 L starter (2 steps)

Fermented at 68-72 degrees ambient temp (before I had fermentation chamber).
OG 1.077, FG 1.016

Can anyone explain the funny after taste? It's drinkable still... but you got to drink it continuously to avoid the aftertaste! :drunk:

MY guess would be to high of fermentation core temps. ( I now see this is a Belgium so probably not)

But I'm not familiar with your hops flavors either or the spice. The sugar would have attenuated out to neer zero so would not add to sweetness just ABV....but I suppose could impart some cidery twang.
Looks like a pretty straight forward recipe otherwise.

Brew something else and blend it would be a way to salvage it. Iv done that a few times.

Whatever it was mellowed with age. Each week it got a little better and is now a great beer. Maybe fusel alcohols or esters/phenols?

Back