Funky Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krelja

Reaction score
I'm not so worried about infection or anything like that(fingers crossed) I made a starter this morning with 3/4 cup of wheat DME, WLP410, and a little over a liter of water. I've had some krausen before but this one is kinda funky. I don't know where this dark color is coming from and was hoping for some help, cause there is nothing dark in my ingredients. I'm going to relax and finish my homebrew and wait to see what I've got going on.
beer039.jpg

beer043.jpg

sorry for the huge pics

Are you sure you didn't scorch it during the boil? Just reminds me of scorched sugar from boiling the wort too hot.

That just looks like the post krausen gunk I get on my carboy after a good old fermentation. I think it's totally fine. Looks fine anyway.

I'm not worried that my beer is going to be ruined just caught by surprise a little when I saw a little flec on the side if the flask, then a hour later or so the brown gunk started. I don't think I burnt the sugar but anything is possible. I did use a different pot to boil my starter and it seemed to loose alot of water as compared to the other pot I use hmmmm

That is funky looking. I have honestly never seen this type of dark brown color in one of my starters. Does the starter taste/smell funny? Or does it just look weird? Also, isn't that flask borosilicate glass? If so, no need to boil in one pot and transfer to the flask. You can simply throw that flask on your stove and boil the starter right in the flask. It will cut down on the possibilites of getting an infection in your starter due to transferring.

I have had a pretty funky looking starter from WLP400, it definitley is a "different" yeast.

Smelled super funky too! Kinda like someone was dropping the kids off at the pool!:D

If your pickin' up what I'm puttin' down!:rockin:

Back