Funky smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcvay131

Reaction score
Has any one ever had there beer stink when the cracked the fermenter open to ball or keg which ever you do? I tasted it and it taste good but man it stinks. I'm thinking its cause its fermented product but not sure if that's it or if it's something else.

To me, my beer has never smelt "funky" but I dont know what you consider to be funky. It always smells like carbon dioxide and beer to me. Is it a sour or rotten odor? I would think if it was rancid it would taste bad or off, but I go by the motto "when in doubt, throw it out"

What hops did you use? Some that are described as earthy can be considered oniony to some people.

Funky as in sulphur? What yeast? Some yeast produce weird smells and sulphur is one of them

I definitely get some less than pleasant smells after opening a fermenter. Especially if there was a vigorous fermentation and there is some protein residue left on the side of the carboy above the 'water' line. You may also notice that the left over trub in the carboy after siphoning smells strange and potentially offensive as well. Every beer has tasted great. These smells shouldn't affect the beer flavor or aroma.

mmmmmmm funky beer smell. its just the smell of yeast at work. leave them be. they have reproducing and and its a work out.

Ok thanks guy it tasted fine I just was worried about the smell.

Back