funky off-flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epistrummer

Reaction score
Ok guys, I've done ten 5-gallon batches now, most of which have been all-grain. However, I'm still somewhat of a noob, so I will ask this question:

First of all, I made two beers that weekend, one was Amber Ale and the other was Brown Ale. Both were fermented 3 weeks in primary, then bottled. Both were fermented in my living room which was about 75 to 80 degrees most of the time. I am aware that these temps are too high for proper fermenting and I blame the high temps for the off-flavors. My question is: Can this beer be salvaged somehow through aging? Will the residual yeast clean up this beer so it will be drinkable? As of now both batches taste pretty funky and unless there is hope for these batches I will have to dump them.

Its probably not worth your time, but if you have some spar bottles you could bottle up a half dozen of each and really see how they age over a year or two. Look in to useing a swamp cooler next summer. Good luck

I used to ferment at these temperatures too. For the most part, it's impossible to get a clean tasting beer in that range. It was acceptable with some styles but mostly not. Do the swamp cooler setup or put the carboy in a tub filled with water and rotate out frozen water bottles

Depending on the level of off flavors they may age out but it could take 6 months to a year. There is really not enough yeast in the bottles to clean things up that well.

In my personal experience fermenting at similar temperatures, aging only helped just a tiny bit. Still full of off favors.

Back