funky floating stuff in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwist04

Reaction score
I haven't done any brewing or cider making in probably 8 years (!) and decided to make a cider with my sister- and brother-in-law. I've definitely taken some shortcuts to simplify the process -- decided against doing a secondary. However, my SIL really wanted to try adding rhubarb so we made a simple syrup and basically turned the rhubarb into a sauce and added it to the primary (after 2 weeks of initial fermentation). The sugars from the rhubarb sauce kicked off yeast production, as I anticipated. However, instead of creating a bigger yeast cake layer, it produced a lot of funky looking stuff that's now floating at the top. We sanitized everything with Star San so I didn't anticipate an infection. It doesn't smell bad -- still smells like cider. Is it OK? What's happening here? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20201012_202939.jpg
    IMG_20201012_202939.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 53
It looks like the rhubarb gave up its goodness, and now it's time to rack off it before it starts to rot. It might be very tart from the rhubarb- are you planning on sweetening later?

Yeah, am planning on adding Campden and potassium sorbate ASAP and then backsweetening with apple juice contentrate. I might leave some of it unswettened just to see how we like it (knowing that it may be too tart).

Back