Funky Cider/Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgja2

Reaction score
I never saw a lot of info out there on the subject so i thought i would share. I recently finished a keg of 100% Brett B Cider. It was fantastic!

5 gal store bought AJ
1/4 teaspoon yeast nutrient
90 seconds of pure O2
Wyeast Brett B (1 gallon starter)
Let it go for 2 months at 72F
Finished at 1.001
Kegged and carbed

Ended up with a distinctly funky nose, def dry but not cloyingly tart like some Apfelwein can be. Tasted like straight up cherries. This will be a staple for sure in our house. :mug:

I've been playing with brett ciders. Im drinking a 100% brett b cider. Made with some brown sugar, and a mini-mash of golden naked oats (for body). went from 1.080 down to 1.005 in only 5 weeks at about 74f. Now I've got this monster 10% ABV dry beer/wine. Not what i was hoping for. I decided to age half of it on bourbon soaked oak. I used the cake to try another batch with an OG of only 1.060 and this time I am fermenting at 62f. That has been in the carboy for about 2 months now and I haven't had time to check gravity or flavor but I am hoping for a less dry/ more fruity version this time, as I have heard that Brett can give that profile. I do love Brett funk and am wondering if it can be achieved in a cider. I also have a carboy going of juice/brown sugar pitched with WLP670 Farmhouse Ale w/ Brett. I hope to see some brett funk come through with that. I used slurry left from a brett saison I did which turned out nice.

Hey, How did this turn out? I am especially curious about the bourbon oaked version?

Back