Fuller's ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the "Fuller's ESB" kit from Austin Homebrew Supplys?

I would like to do a clone of it and was wondering if its any good or if anyone would have a clone recipe of there own they would like share.

Thanks

I'm on the road and don't have it with me, but I thought the BYO 150 clones issue had a Fuller's clone in it. If no one else replies, I'll check when I get home on Sat night.

This article has some pretty good hints on the real thing, I used this as a basis for my Bitter End ESB recipe.

http://rarebeerclub.beveragebistro.com/rbcbeer_12.html

Whilst this beer was to be special, it still was to be ESB. We therefore kept the original ESB recipe: 91.5% pale ale malt (optic barley variety), 3.5% crystal malt and 5% flake maize, but we decided to push this to the limits and produce a stronger than normal version. We managed to push the gravity from 1054 to 1060, and the alcohol to 6.1%. This should rise to maybe as high as 6.3%, because it is bottle-conditioned.

We also changed the hops to 100% Goldings, and doubled the late copper hopping rate. This resulted in a bitterness of 42.55 (the normal ESB target is 34). After fermentation we then dry hopped the ESB in the maturation tank with Goldings. We left the beer in tank for 3 months, and bottled the beer with a count of 0.5 million yeast cells.

Fuller's ESB Clone - 5 Gallon

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
8C-English Pale Ale-Extra Special/Strong Bitter

Min OG: 1.048 SG
Max OG: 1.060+ SG
Min FG: 1.010 SG
Max FG: 1.016 SG
Min IBU: 30 IBU
Max IBU: 50+ IBU
Min Color: 6.0 SRM
Max Color: 18.0 SRM

Recipe Overview

Wort Volume Before Boil: 6.75 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 5.40 US gals
Volume Transferred: 5.40 US gals
Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching: 5.40 US gals
Volume Of Finished Beer: 5.00 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.043 SG
Expected OG: 1.054 SG
Expected FG: 1.016 SG
Apparent Attenuation: 69.0 %
Expected ABV: 5.0 %
Expected ABW: 3.9 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 34.0 IBU
Expected Color: 6.9 SRM
Mash Efficiency: 77.0 %
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 66 degF

Fermentables

UK Optic Pale Ale Malt 9.40 lb 91.5 % In Mash/Steeped
UK Flaked Corn/Maize 0.51 lb 5.0 % In Mash/Steeped
UK Medium Crystal 0.36 lb 3.5 % In Mash/Steeped

Hops

UK Target 8.1 0.5 oz Pelletized Hops 90 Min From End
UK Challenger 8.2 0.5 oz Pelletized Hops 15 Min From End
UK Northdown 8.6 0.5 oz Pelletized Hops 10 Min From End
UK Golding 6.1 0.5 oz Pelletized Hops 1 Min From End
UK Golding 6.1 0.5 oz Pelletized Hops Dry-Hopped

Other Ingredients

Irish Moss 0.2 oz In Boil

Yeast
Wyeast 1968-London ESB Ale

This is what I came up with after reading a few article on the web, the only problem is I can't seem to get the alcohol up to the 5.9% that is listed. The yeast Apparent Attenuation of 69% won't ferment to a lower FG (need to be around 1.10 FG to get the 5.9%). But all other numbers are right on from the research (except maybe hops amount... I just adjusted to get the reported 34 IBU's).

Any ideas on how to bring the alcohol to the 5.9%?

Thanks

Back