Full volume boil for extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubbster85

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing up the Honey Weizen kit from NB this weekend. I just got my 7.5gal brew pot and burner as well and I wanted to do a full volume boil. Is there any benefit in boiling full volume for an extract kit? Should I boil the LME the whole hour or pour the LME for the last 15 mins of the boil?

I have just brewed the honey wiezen myself but I has grains to do a partial mash. I don't know the benefits or not of a full extract but my fermenter ( Carboy not bucket) is going crazy from the lb of honey added. Please let me know how yours turns out. I have a 2 month wait to see my results !

I am sorry but I disnt answer the question. I did a full volume boil and I think it has come out clearer than when I didn't do it

Ok, most important part of your question: you need some LME in your boiling water or your hops won't get properly utilized. If you add half your LME at 60 minutes and half at 15, you will get better utilization out of your hops than if you added all the LME at 60.

The largest disadvantage to a full boil for most extract brewers will tend to be that it takes a lot longer to chill 5 gallons of boiling wort than it takes to chill 3 gallons. That is, unless you have an immersion chiller or are comfortable with any other less conventional rapid chill methods.

The more slowly your wort chills, the longer it is open to risking infection and the less cold break material will fall out.

When we did extract, we always had the LME/DME in for the full boil.

Regarding your question, I noticed a huge jump in beer taste/quality going from a partial boil to a full boil. I would say outside of ferm temp control, it was the single largest impact on our beers at the time.

Keep in mind if you decide to do a full boil rather than a partial it will increase hop utilization, so your beer will end up more hoppy if you don't adjust the hops down. While that may not be a problem in most beers you may not want a lot of bitterness in a weizen.

I am under the belief that you'll have a better quality beer by doing a full wort boil (regardless of beer style or hop utilization). It helps to harmoniously meld the malt, water, and hops together and provide added melanoidin formation, which is not always a bad thing. Secondly, I would add a little bit of the extract late, but not necessarily half of it. I have never seen any solid reasoning on the recommended amount of extract to add late vs. early. I have always done well with 15-25% extract added late for my Partial Mash IPAs.

The recipe calls for 1oz of Tettnang for 60min. Should I add the hops later in the boil so I don't get too much bitterness since I'm doing a full boil? The recipe also calls for 1lb honey. If I wanted to add more honey aroma, should I had another pound in a secondary? Thanks for all your replies!

Tubbster85 said:
The recipe calls for 1oz of Tettnang for 60min. Should I add the hops later in the boil so I don't get too much bitterness since I'm doing a full boil? The recipe also calls for 1lb honey. If I wanted to add more honey aroma, should I had another pound in a secondary? Thanks for all your replies!

Add your hops at 60 minutes. No worries there. If it were me, I wouldn't add another pound of honey. It'll make your beer drier without much flavor/ aroma. If this is one of your first few batches, follow the instructions given, except for the fermentation times. Leave it until you get the same hydrometer readings 3 days in a row, then bottle or keg. No secondary required, unless you just want to.

I'd definitely do the full boil! One thing to consider is that in my low IBU beers, it seems like a full boil gave me a little more bitterness that surprised me. The only "fix" I'd do with a lower IBU beer (like a honey weizen) is decrease the bittering hops to .75 ounce for the 60 minutes.

Back