Full Size Mash Tun okay for Partial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skipster

Reaction score
I am planning on a few new toys for this weekends brew day. I am going to make the transition to AG but I still need a couple of key elements (full size kettle and fryer). I want to make my water cooler mash tun tomarrow. Does anyone see any problems doing a partial mash with it?

Seems like a easy question but I have seen a couple mini mash setups browsing the forums, any particular reason for those other than size convenience?

Thanks guys.

Skip

You will get more of a temp loss due to the dead space above the mash. One way to compinsate is to get the insulation foam board stuff from HD or Lowes, and cut out a piece to "float" on top of the mash. That will allow it to hold the temp after strike for the entire mash. Someone else here came up with this, I just am an advocate. I get a 0 degree loss on 60m, and 2 degree on 90m.

ok, here's the solution. Preheat your tun with boiling water for 20 minutes with the lid on. Dump the water out, and mash away! MAke sure when you hit your target temp, put the lid back on. You should have no problem keeping your temp. I'm a chef, and I've been doing that same technique for years when bringing hot food to a party that I'm catering. If it will work for prime rib, it'll work for your mash!

ok, here's the solution. Preheat your tun with boiling water for 20 minutes with the lid on. Dump the water out, and mash away! MAke sure when you hit your target temp, put the lid back on. You should have no problem keeping your temp. I'm a chef, and I've been doing that same technique for years when bringing hot food to a party that I'm catering. If it will work for prime rib, it'll work for your mash!

I don't know what happened there!! I'm sorry about spamming this thread!! I didn't mean to. I'm fairly positive I could have posted once and it would have been fine :)

Thanks for the help guys. I have some styrafoam from an old cooler that I will coat with foil. But I will be sure to heat the Mash Tun first. I will let you know how my first partial goes.

Skip

Back