Full Pint malt from Great Western/Imperial Organic Yeast Co.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
Hi Brewers, I just picked a bag of this new base malt. It was highly recommended by one of the local homebrew gurus. The kernels are very plump and tasty out of the bag. Here is the description:

Full Pint Malt was developed at Oregon State University (originally named BCD-47) and is a spring 2-row barley. Described as "very fermentable and having a very nice extract... Full Pint wort also tasted very good, pre and post boiled... a very pleasant and strong fresh salted popcorn note. A very positive clean sweetness as well, with no harshness or astringency... the fermented Full Pint beer was clean, slightly estery, a bit tart and bready."

I am brewing a Centennial Wet Hop Pale Ale tomorrow with this malt and a touch of Carastan, fermenting with another new product to the Portland area, the "Pub Ale" strain from Imperial Organic Yeast which comes in an awesome little aluminum can and has 200 billion cells (2x Wyeast/WLP). The yeast is equivalent to WY 1968/WLP 002.

Anyhow, I have not seen any posts on here about either of these new products, so I will keep you posted.

I'm betting you shop at F.H. Steinbart.

Today picked up some Imperial Organic Yeast B51 workhorse to try out in my Belgian Pale ale. With 200 billion yeast cells I wont have to do a yeast starter. The Imperial Yeast costs a couple dollars more at $10 (although cheaper per amount of yeast), but the time saving of avoiding the yeast starter makes up for it in my book.

I also am looking forward to buying a 50 lb of the new Full Pint malt and giving that a try. I gave it a taste and I'm thinking it may replace my 2-row additions.

-
Craig

I'm betting you shop at F.H. Steinbart.

Today picked up some Imperial Organic Yeast B51 workhorse to try out in my Belgian Pale ale. With 200 billion yeast cells I wont have to do a yeast starter. The Imperial Yeast costs a couple dollars more at $10 (although cheaper per amount of yeast), but the time saving of avoiding the yeast starter makes up for it in my book.

I also am looking forward to buying a 50 lb of the new Full Pint malt and giving that a try. I gave it a taste and I'm thinking it may replace my 2-row additions.

-
Craig

Yep, Steinbarts. Michael at Steinbart's saw me eyeing the Full Pint bin, and asked me to take a nibble. He said he did a beer with it that got great extract and was super tasty. He's the man, so I was sold. The Imperial yeast is great. My 12 gallon batch of APA took off in hours with no starter.

One note on the yeast, the can says to open it cold. I guess this is to to keep it from spraying during opening? Anyway, I opened it and all the yeast was packed in the bottom (like you'd see in a White Labs vial) I could not shake it up at this point to get the yeast into suspension with an open can, and since I was using ESB yeast which is super flocculant and makes a very dense cake, it was hard to get it out of the can. I swirled it a lot, crushed the can a bit and finally the whole plug of yeast dropped out in one piece into my funnel. I had to get the remaining few ounces of wort from my kettle to pour over the yeast to get it to break apart and fall into my fermenter. Lesson learned, need to shake it up before opening next time.

I was trying to figure out what they meant by writing "open cold." I'm still not clear on what they suggest. If you open the yeast when cold, it will not be at the correct temperature to pitch. And if you open cold and then let sit to warm up, you give opportunity for contamination with the open lid.

I'm thinking I would rather deal with a bit of pressure when opening at pitching temperature.

Thoughts?

PS. Which ones of theirs is an ESB? Is this a 1968 equivalent you speak of?

What I would do is to shake it well, barely open the lid to let the pressure off, then cover the can with some sanitized foil. This should be sufficient to keep any contaminants out of the yeast and allow the yeast to warm up to pitch temps. The can is pretty small, and if you put it in a warm water bath, I'd guess you could warm the yeast really quickly. The "Pub" strain is WY 1968-London ESB. I talked to the owners of Imperial about equivalents so that is 100% solid info.

I decided to do a 10 gallon batch of a Belgian Pale Ale and split the batch with two yeasts from Imperial Organic Yeast, their Workhorse and Rustic. I can't wait to taste the differences.

I contacted Imperial Organic Yeast about pitching temperature and this is what they said...
"We dont believe that a 30 degree temp change (fridge at 40 to wort at 70) will have any negative effect on the yeast. You can just pull it out of the fridge, drop it in sani, and then open and pitch. If you want to let it warm up, take the can out for 20 minutes, then sani, open and pitch."

I also bought a 50 lb bag of the Full Pint malt. Soon I want to brew a beer with a Full Pint dominant grain bill and really taste the difference.

Anyone have any experience with these new offerings?

My Wet hop beer turned out spectacular with the Full Pint malt and Imperial Yeast Pub (London ESB/English Ale) yeast. Steinbarts did not get Centennial, but replaced with fresh Amarillo! The malt does lend a mild salted popcorn aroma (as described above ) that is very pleasing. The yeast was a beast, primary was done in 4 days without a starter for a 12 gallon batch. I harvested a whole quart of quality yeast from the fermenter. I am very pleased with both products. Next up are another wet hop APA and a porter.

My Wet hop beer turned out spectacular with the Full Pint malt and Imperial Yeast Pub (London ESB/English Ale) yeast. Steinbarts did not get Centennial, but replaced with fresh Amarillo! The malt does lend a mild salted popcorn aroma (as described above ) that is very pleasing. The yeast was a beast, primary was done in 4 days without a starter for a 12 gallon batch. I harvested a whole quart of quality yeast from the fermenter. I am very pleased with both products. Next up are another wet hop APA and a porter.

I just got a 10 bag of this stuff and am looking forward to brewing with it one of these days. Funny enough I was thinking of doing either a SMaSH with it or with 5-10% Carastan.

Back