Full boil setup vs Fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno84

Reaction score
I have enough funds to get only one. I currently do extract brewing in my kitchen. I usually boil 3 gallons and add water to 5 gallons and ferment in a glass carboy in my garage or closet. Temp control will be problematic in the summer. From what I have read on here, I really can't tell if I should go with a full boil setup first or a fermenting chamber solution (like a freezer from CL, etc.)

Which next step is more important?

Full Boil (propane burner + large kettle)

OR

Fermenting Chamber (freezer w/ temperature control)

Note: I would like to lager, but it isn't the most important thing just yet.

Thanks.

edit: I did try searching for this topic on the forum

Agreed with the above. That's definitely my next project now that I got into brewing... been at it for 3+ weeks and now have 15 gallons fermenting, a dual tap kegerator built and waiting, and ideas on how to expand even further... this hobby is cray!

Thanks for the replies. I think this is the way to go too. If I can get a decent deal on a freezer, then I can also get or make a stir plate too.

Another one for temp control.

FYI, I built my first ferm chamber out of a $20.00 CL dorm fridge and 1.5 sheets of 3/4" foam board for less than $35.00. You don't have to get crazy until you want to.

Absolutely agreed with all the above. Love my ferment chamber, and wouldn't trade any other piece of my equipment for it.

Check out the $25 ebay temp controllers. Add the cost of a cheap CL freezer and you got a great ferm chamber for less than $100.

Problem now is finding a cheap CL freezer that is relatively close. Is it me or are there a lot more insane people on CL with their pricing than there used to be?

My ferm chamber consists of a 5CF chest freezer plus a dual stage control logic temp controller. If I was going to do it again I'd get a chest big enough to hold 2 fermenters. Ah well, live and learn!!!

I'd definitely shoot for a 7 cu or bigger (depending on your particular desires). Limiting to a single beer at a time wont' cut it for long....

Back