Frustrated!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerpsDad

Reaction score
I have had three consecutive failed batches and I am can't pinpoint where I am going wrong. I am brewing kits from both Northern and Brewers Best with the same results. Two IPAs and one Session Ale. All three have the same off flavors: overly sweet and yeasty. Tried extending fermentation to let the yeast all drop out with no success. FYI - I am using a FastFerment conical fermenter. I follow the brewing steps to the letter and Aerate the wort with a diffusion stone prior to pitching yeast. I wonder if my water could be an issue or if I am fermenting at too high of a temperature. I have been using tap water and I ferment in the laundry room (also houses the furnace). Any helpful hints would be appreciated!:confused:

Be more specific with the steps you take while brewing to help us pin point a red flag. What temp is said laundry room at? More details!

How long did you ferment these beers? What is the temperature of the area that the fermenters are in? I'd recommend putting a digital temp probe inside (or at least taped to the side of one of your fermenters) so that you have a better idea of fermentation temps.

I love all the questions on these vague problem troubleshooting threads. I've got one more for you, are you brewing extract or all grain? Tap water throws up a red flag as well, are you treating the water for chloramine/chlorine? Doesn't quite fit your off flavor descriptor but you never know.

I have had three consecutive failed batches and I am can't pinpoint where I am going wrong. I am brewing kits from both Northern and Brewers Best with the same results. Two IPAs and one Session Ale. All three have the same off flavors: overly sweet and yeasty. Tried extending fermentation to let the yeast all drop out with no success. FYI - I am using a FastFerment conical fermenter. I follow the brewing steps to the letter and Aerate the wort with a diffusion stone prior to pitching yeast. I wonder if my water could be an issue or if I am fermenting at too high of a temperature. I have been using tap water and I ferment in the laundry room (also houses the furnace). Any helpful hints would be appreciated!:confused:

Pay attention to the temperature range the yeasts producer puts on the package. A laundry room with a furnace can get pretty warm - and keep in mind that the yeast produce heat so the fermentor is likely to be a few degrees warmer than the room.

What yeast were you using?

Since he said brewers best and northern, I am thinking Extract in 5 gallon batches

(brewers best does sell 1 gallon all grain, but since he said fast fermenter, thinking 5 gallon)

the op could also just be picking up extract twang if it was old extract, or whatever/wherever extract twang comes from.

To the OP:

Have you brewed with someone that is more experienced as a brewer?

If flavor is sweet and yeasty, it seems that the yeast is suffering somehow. (Yeast is dead and therefore not eating the sugar)

When are you adding the yeast?
What water are you using?

It would seem that if fermentation is happening at too high a temp but low enough for the yeast to live, there would be esters associated but there is no remark about that - just yeast and sweet.

I wonder if a high chlorine or saline content could be a problem?

Overly sweet sounds like low attenuation. The problem may be the yeast. For example Windsor Ale yeast is a low attenuator and will leave the beer sweet even though the SG remains stable after a couple of weeks in the fermentor.

Another possibility is removing the yeast from the fermentor too soon if you are doing that.

While we're taking wild shots in the dark, I'm going to guess that he got his yeast and DME mixed up. Boiled the yeast, added the DME to the fermenter. Got an infection which caused some fermentation but it didn't ferment to dryness. Off flavors are from under-attenuation and weird wild yeast.

What temp are you pitching the yeast at? What type of yeast? What temp is the laundry room?

Two scenarios: The yeast is unhealthy at the start. Or the laundry room is getting too cold and they stop.

When I'm not using my chest freezer for fermenting (it's in the garage and it's too cold right now), I use my basement. I use carboy heaters and a digital controller with the temp probe. Never trust ambient air temps.

fermenting_basement.jpg

More information is still needed. Temperature is unlikely to give you an overly sweet, yeasty brew unless the temperatures get low enough to stall out your fermentation. That doesn't seem a possibility seeing the readouts on your controllers.

Do you take a final gravity reading? If so what were they?

The OP must have got so frustrated he couldn't come back and elaborate on his question and gave up!

Back