Fruity IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frostymug

Reaction score
Hello, I have built a hopefully fruity IPA

5 gallon Batch

9 LB of 2 row
.5 of caravienne malt

Hop schedule
Galaxy .5 @ 60
Galaxy .5 @ 30
Galaxy 1 oz @ flame out
Topaz 1 oz @ flame out

Dry hop
Galaxy 1 oz
Topaz 1 oz

Question 1 is the recipe sound?
Question 2 what yeast would be best for a fruity IPA.

Thanks!

Hello, I have built a hopefully fruity IPA

5 gallon Batch

9 LB of 2 row
.5 of caravienne malt

Hop schedule
Galaxy .5 @ 60
Galaxy .5 @ 30
Galaxy 1 oz @ flame out
Topaz 1 oz @ flame out

Dry hop
Galaxy 1 oz
Topaz 1 oz

Question 1 is the recipe sound?
Question 2 what yeast would be best for a fruity IPA.

Thanks!
You're wasting the hops at 60 and 30. Move everything to flameout/whirlpool and probably double all your numbers. For yeast I'd go with Conan/Barbarian.

5oz of hops total in an IPA seems a bit light to me. I just brewed a pale ale and it had 4oz of hops total. You're doing 1oz of hops per gallon right now, some guys are doing 1oz per gallon + in the dry hop alone. If you've got more hops, use more hops. My last IPA used a total of 357.5g (12.6oz) of hops.

I'd get whatever IBU's you're getting from your 60 + 30 min addition from a single, cheap, high AA hop (magnum, warrior, etc) in a single 60 min addition. Then take those expensive Galaxy additions at 60 & 30 min and add them to the flame out and/or dry hop.

Conan is a popular yeast for this style, Chico (US05, WY1056, WLP001) will also be fine.

Thanks. That’s the info I need. I will do that as the galaxy is a little on the high side and I’m still learning where I’m wasting pointless additions. I have never done more than 2 oz for dry hop . If I do 2 oz of topaz and 4 of galaxy is that excessive. Not sure where the line is. Making a session I think. Want it to be hop forward

Thanks. That’s the info I need. I will do that as the galaxy is a little on the high side and I’m still learning where I’m wasting pointless additions. I have never done more than 2 oz for dry hop . If I do 2 oz of topaz and 4 of galaxy is that excessive. Not sure where the line is. Making a session I think. Want it to be hop forward
Sounds perfect.

^ this. 6oz dry hop sounds tasty to me. I'm usually shooting for anywhere from 4 to 6 oz in my dry hop for a typical IPA. I've gone even higher in a NEIPA.

I've never used Topaz before so I may be off here, but keep in mind that Galaxy is very pungent. The 4oz of Galaxy may completely overwhelm whatever the 2oz of Topaz is bringing to the table. There is only one way to find out though!

Both your malt and hop additions are low for an IPA
I would add a few pounds of malt if you want an IPA. Yours may end up 5% alc
For a fruity beer on a budget - My hop schedule would look something more like this:
1-1.5oz of warrior @ 60
2oz oz galaxy @5
1oz each galaxy/Topaz @flameout
2-6oz of hops @ Dryhop for 7 days (after fermentation)

Galaxy is potent (in a good way) and a little goes a long way for aroma additions

Not planning on adding actual fruit with your dry hop? Recently did 2oz citra and 4.5lbs of mango in a blonde ale and that turned out lovely

Latest posts

Back