Fruits in secondary...shake carboy ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fardy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just racked my beer on 5 lbs of peaches puree. I thought that the puree would mix with the beer while transferring it from the primary but the puree stood at the bottom of the carboy.

Do I have to leave it that way or should I shake my carboy to mix the puree completely with the beer ?

If I leave it that way, will it affect the amount of fruit's flavor in my beer ?

Thanks for your answers !

I don't think it matters. If you used whole fruit, it would have probably floated. The sugars will get out and be fermented. The fruit and color will get out and mix in the beer.

If you try to mix it up too much, you risk oxgynating and causing off flavors.

Ya'know I just racked to my secondary today on top of some raspberry puree. I expected it to go kinda crazy, even attached a blow off tube just in case. But it's just sitting there.

FYI - Hydrometer is showing that it's at final gravity after 8 days.

There typically isn't enough sugar in fruit to make a fermentation go crazy if that's the only sugar remaining to be fermented unless you are adding a lot, and I mean a lot, of fruit.

If you needed it to mix completely, the standard procedure would be to dump the fruit into the beer, not the other way around. Leave it alone, you're fine.

Regarding "crazy" fermentation on fruit, I just haven't seen that happen. Consider that with cherries for example, using 5lb will net you 3 points of gravity (You read that right. I didn't believe it either and actually did the math based on the sugar content). Not enough to cause a yeast feeding frenzy, for sure.

If you needed it to mix completely, the standard procedure would be to dump the fruit into the beer, not the other way around.

Meeeeeeh I dunno about that. Every time I plan to add sugar/gelatin/puree/etc to the secondary it goes in first and the slight whirlpool I get from filling with beer mixes everything up perfectly.

And to the original poster, I'd advise you to not shake also. It'll be just fine

Well I was really just trying to make the point that you don't need perfect dispersion of the fruit or whatever you're racking on to in order to get what you're looking for. Same goes with dry hopping in secondary - is it necessary for you to pound your hops into a powder and make sure they're evenly dispersed for them to work? Of course not. Is it good enough to rack onto it? Yes, that's what I was getting at. Does it mix up 'perfectly'? No but it's good enough and it works - that's what I was saying. I wasn't asserting that you actually *should* dump anything into secondary. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll let it stand that way and see how it turns out !

Cheers ! :mug:

I make a fair share of fruity beers and i also use the puree...

I've found it helps to get your racking hose to be kind of coiled at the bottom to swirl the puree. Not splash mind you but swirl it a little bit.

I've also noted when it doesn't swirl the taste is milder. On my Stouts I've had to add a bit more at kegging....but then I use the extract.
But you can avoid that by letting is sit for a bit longer in the secondary...like a month.

I've been toying with the idea of adding the fruit to the primary and let the whole fermentation mix up the flavors ... then just letting the whole thing sit as is for like a month or so (yes I'm a no-secondary convert)

I too rarely use secondaries. The issue you run into with letting the fermentation "mix up the flavors" is that the CO2 is scrubbing most of your aroma. You can do it obviously, but fruit additions are one of the few times that I always use a secondary.

Well I was really just trying to make the point that you don't need perfect dispersion of the fruit or whatever you're racking on to in order to get what you're looking for. Same goes with dry hopping in secondary - is it necessary for you to pound your hops into a powder and make sure they're evenly dispersed for them to work? Of course not. Is it good enough to rack onto it? Yes, that's what I was getting at. Does it mix up 'perfectly'? No but it's good enough and it works - that's what I was saying. I wasn't asserting that you actually *should* dump anything into secondary. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh no worries. I was just throwing out my two cents based on my misreading of your post. And very good point about dry hopping.

I just left it at the bottom but finally got a nice fruits krausen after 24 hours.

FruitsKrausen.jpg

Now my next question, how do you guys filter the beer from the fruit puree when kegging/bottling ? Will the fruits krausen will fall back at the bottom like a regular yeast's krausen ?

Thanks,

Back