Fruit sugar content/mead calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustylee

Reaction score
I was wanting to make a strawberry mead and was wondering if the 'sugar content %' box was accurate in how much sugar different fruits have.

It's usually fairly accurate. I usually find a fresh pressed juice with no added sugar, of the fruit I plan on using, and calculate the sugar % myself. There's always gonna be a percentage point or two difference depending on variety, season, climate ect.

But yeah, I'd say it's mostly accurate.

I agree with CoolYon. You can very reasonably use the information provided by either USDA (US Dept of Agriculture) or the information on packages. Any inaccuracy is going to be very small and for the most part a) you can use your own refractometer or hydrometer to confirm the numbers and b) even if the numbers are not exact they are gonna be close enough for your purposes. The very tools we use to measure sugar content or alcohol content are in and of themselves very inaccurate - after all, we are not in fact "measuring" the weight of the sucrose, fructose or glucose in the fruit or the actual alcohol content in the wines or beers or meads... We are using indicators that are considered "good enough" for reasonable approximations...

Back