Fruit or Brett first in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPlan00

Reaction score
I brewed a saison with WLP 565 and after 4-5 weeks it is down from 1.065 to 1.008. My plan was to add both Brett C and about 7 pounds of frozen peaches to secondary.

My question is when to add them? Should I add the Brett and let age for months and then the fruit?

Or, add the fruit in a bag, age to taste, remove the fruit, and then the Brett?

I haven't done this yet, but I've got a few beers going with brett that'll have fruit added. I plan to add brett long before adding the fruit, actually most of them were begun with brett. Fruit will be added for the last month. My thinking is that brett takes time and I don't want the fruit to fade. A month should be plenty of time to ferment everything in the fruit, without losing too much fruit aroma / flavor due to age.

Also, adding more sugar to the beer while the yeast is still relatively healthy is going to cause the yeast to become very active again. It seems like brett would have an easier time without a super active fermentation from the sacc.

If I were feeling very patient, I would add the brett first. If not, I would add them at the same time. I don't have experience with this, but I would want the brett to act on some of the fruit sugars. If you add the fruit first, the saison strain is going to eat that up and the brett will only act on the more complex sugars that the saison strain won't handle. But letting the brett develop fully, then adding the fruit, fermenting its sugars and packaging sounds like the correct route to me.

Back