Fruit infusion with Hop Rocket/Randall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddknight

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been considering brewing a wheat beer and then serving it using a Blichmann Hop Rocket or Randall filled with fruit (blueberries, raspberries) in order to get a fresh infused fruit flavor. Has anybody done this in the past and has it been successful? My worry comes with not knowing how much flavor might infuse into the beer as I don't want it necessarily overpowering to the degree of undrinkability. Thought it might be a novel way to serve a beer at a party this summer as it's certainly a one day adventure but then any left over beer is still useful as a traditional wheat. Thanks for any feedback/advice.

I think I had a Dogfish beer at ACBF a few years ago that was pushed through fresh peaches...

This is done a lot around here by some breweries. Apples, peaches, cloves, anise, pink peppercorns, coffee, tea, oak chips...,basically anything you can stuff into a Randall I've seen. I'm actually doing fresh tangerines and coriander for a Wit on Saturday. I'm planning on the skin of three tangerines and 2oz of coriander.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at just slicing a lot of blueberries and running the wheat beer through that to serve. Hoping it gives just a subtle blueberry flavor for people.

ddknight said:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at just slicing a lot of blueberries and running the wheat beer through that to serve. Hoping it gives just a subtle blueberry flavor for people.

image-1398361017.jpg

Here it was...3 whole mandarin tangerines ripped up and shoved in and 2oz if crushed coriander. It was fantastic.

Great pic! Thanks for posting that. I'm brewing the American Wheat next week and then will plan to run it through my randall stuffed with fresh blueberries. Worth a try!

Back