Fruit in beer, 4 gallons in 5 gallon carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpeanut7

Reaction score
OK, so I have 2 questions. I'm about to start the 4th week of fermentation (well, 2 primary, 1 secondary, I know its not really FERMENTATION anymore:p), and I wanted to try an experiment. The 5 gallons of Kolsch are currently in a 5 gallon carboy, and I have a spare 1 gallon glass carboy.

Heres for the question:

Can I rack out a gallon of the Kolsch into the 1 gallon carboy, and add whatever the proportionate amount of fruit needed to said carboy? The bigger question here, is would that greatly affect the fermentation of the remaining 4 gallons? Due to headspace and all.

Do you think it would be better for me to wait until bottling, and bottle 4 gallons, but rack the remaining gallon to the 1 gallon, and experiment with that? Giving me three levels of fermentation for that 1 gallon portion?

I'm def a rookie and was just wondering if I had learned anything from the assault I've put on these forums, haha.

I would just bottle 4 gallons and experiment with the other gallon. That way you do not have to jeapordize the 4 gallons of beer. I did something similiar back in November. I bottled 4 gallon of Old Ale. The other gallon went into a 1 gallon carlo rossi jug, along with oak cubes, and some brett pellical from my lambic.

Thanks, pretty sure thats what ill do. Add some raspberries. You think 3 levels of fermentation will aerate too much?

no you could continue to add fermentables to your beer and it would not aerate the beer unless you introduce oxygen. Your fermented beer should be void of oxygen because it is consumed by the yeast during their reproductive phase during the initial fermenation.

Back