Fruit Fly in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamb6411

Reaction score
I have read all over the place about different instances of fruit flies in and around their beer. I have just recently had an issue with some in my airlock on a red ale but nothing in the actual beer. I just racked a pumpkin ale into a secondary just the other day and now i see one of them floating around in there but no signs of any other. I am going to rack into another carboy in a couple days just to be safe but my question is with one of these things or possibly a few more floating around in there will my beer be ruined? It would be ashamed because this beer has an awesome color along with a good aroma when i transferred it recently and I would also hate the waste of time and money as well. Any insight would be appreciated thanks

I would not rack again unless its to bottle. The fly is already in there so if there is a chance of infection you're already too late. By racking again you are risking unnecessary oxygen exposure and resulting off flavors. When you are ready to bottle, have a taste and decide to dump or enjoy.

Ok I will refrain from racking again. Now I normally leave in the secondary for about 21 days should and its been in there about a week should i shorten up the time sitting in the secondary or as you said if there is damage done it is already done?

I would shorten secondary and bottle as quick as possible. Due diligence keeping out any extra O2 (acetobacter is aerobic). Carbonate, and put in your fridge. Drink soon. I suspect you'll be okay regardless but these will help minimize "potential". The reason I think you're okay is that most bacteria cannot tolerate low pH of beer and ethyl alcohol, with the exception of a few (aceto). Acetobacter requires oxygen so if you minimize that then no worries there. The sooner you get it into a fridge the quicker is enters a "slow motion" state where any other living bacteria slows way down. Then you drink quickly. :D

Thanks for the input I will shorten the time in the secondary and bottle quicker and hopefully everything will turn out ok and I hope so because I think this has the potential to be a great tasting pumpkin ale and should come out to about 8.5%

I have had dog hair in my beers at some point. I have a pug and he sheds furiously. I just consider it as a condiment.

Thanks for the input I will shorten the time in the secondary and bottle quicker and hopefully everything will turn out ok and I hope so because I think this has the potential to be a great tasting pumpkin ale and should come out to about 8.5%

I'd rather not see a fruit fly in any beer of mine, but at 8.5% I think your risk of infection is very small.

I have had dog hair in my beers at some point. I have a pug and he sheds furiously. I just consider it as a condiment.

Pugs shed???

....oh that's right, I got one myself :D

It's a constant barrage of pug hair followed by the seasonal upswing :rolleyes:

Pugs shed???

....oh that's right, I got one myself :D

It's a constant barrage of pug hair followed by the seasonal upswing :rolleyes:

Lol.. Mine is named Frank. He was a rescue from the Amish... One eye and lots of loooovvve!

Back