Fruit flies on primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnync

Reaction score
I started some strawberry wine, I can't keep the fruit flies off of the primary. I have it covered with a dish towel and a rubber band around it. What are my chances of this not getting contaminated? It smell fine so far on day 4.

Aim a fan at it. The flies like the offgassing from the ferment. Since primary is covered you should have no issues, as long as fabric weave is tight enough to keep them out.

saramc said:
Aim a fan at it. The flies like the offgassing from the ferment. Since primary is covered you should have no issues, as long as fabric weave is tight enough to keep them out.

It's pretty close weave is pretty tight, and it smells like every other wine when fermenting. I will wait it out and see what happens. Thanks

I'm a big fan of a primary with just a towel over it, so it can be stirred a couple of times a day. But by day four, if there were fruitflies around, I'd go ahead and airlock it. By day four, it should be well into fermentation and an airlock could only help if there are fruitflies around.

I put a peice of pantyhose with a rubber band on my airlock to keep them out. Fruit flies are tiny here in florida.

Back