Fruit Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snow145532

Reaction score
I purchased a Brewer's Best Cherry Fruit Flavoring bottle (4oz for a 5 gallon batch) and i'm unsure if this has sugar in it. Bottle says NAT/ART FRUIT FLAVORING FOR BEER AND WINE .5% OR 3-4 OZ PER 5 GALLONS. The guy at the shop said when he uses it, he decreases the bottling sugar because his beers would become overcarbonated, but I thought these extracts didn't have any sugar in it. Anyone know what to do with this one? and of course there is no ingredient list on the bottle. Just bottled my first beer last night (Octoberfest) and this will be the second (Watergap wheat with some cherry or raspberry flavoring in half the batch).
Thanks for any help

I've never actually used cherry extract, but I've never heard anything good about it. Most people I have talked to that used it specifically mentioned cough-syrup flavor... That said, I'd instead use real cherries or Oregon fruit puree. I've had good luck with both.

"Cherry
4 oz. Jar. Natural cherry extract in alcohol base with no fermentable sugars. Best added to your bottling bucket just before bottling. Use up to 4 oz. per 5 gallon batch of beer. Best used with German wheat beers, Belgian ales, and stouts."
http://www.brewapp.com/ingredientsflavorings.html

I dont know if this is the same stuff, but if it is similar it would seem like you should add right before bottling.

I think this is the same stuff. My bottle says it's Brewer's Best, but on the bottom says packaged by LD Carlson, I'm guessing they're the same company.

http://www.brewsource.com/ProdNav/Ing_154.asp

Thanks for the info on the cough syrup taste. My girlfriend actually wanted raspberry flavoring, but i wasn't paying attention when i picked up the cherry i guess. Any recommendations on an extract that you could pick up at the grocery store (brew shop is 45 min away).

Back