Fruit Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P_Ribbs

Reaction score
Fruit beers or fruit influenced beer has been a big topic on here lately and I'm curious everyone's thoughts on whole fruits vs purées. I'm going to do an amber ale with a fruit in the secondary and do not want to do an extract. Curious what's worked for you all!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've done both whole fruit and puréed. And I love the puréed I would never do a whole fruit again. You get so much more juice/color/flavor out of the purée. I did a side by side of a raspberry ale with whole fruit and with purée, everyone agreed on purée was a better beer.

Sent from my iPhone

I've done both whole fruit and puréed. And I love the puréed I would never do a whole fruit again. You get so much more juice/color/flavor out of the purée. I did a side by side of a raspberry ale with whole fruit and with purée, everyone agreed on purée was a better

Sent from my iPhone

When did you add it?

I do 5lbs of frozen fruit for 4 gallons beer end result gets you to 5 gallons. Purée it up and add it to the secondary for minimum 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone

I've used both, but I prefer using fruit. However, peeling and pitting 5lbs of fruit (like peaches) can be tedious.

Last night I made a melomel. I prepped and puréed the fruit myself.

(New Member - first post!)

I have a big berry wheat ale in secondary right now. (1.082 before fruit) It's the first time I've added fruit to a batch and am curious how it will turn out. I never thought of adding the fruit pureed. Im sure it would taste different (and easy to pitch)! I'll keep that in mind.

5#'s of frozen black/blue/rasp/strawberries pitched to secondary after a violet 2wk primary ferment in a 6.5gal. So my 5gal 'aim' + fruit yielded the perfect amount for my 5gal secondary.

Any special prep involved to 'sanitize' fresh fruit? Or just wash, peel, pulse, repeat? I did the frozen approach because I assumed it'd be less 'risky'

Has anyone tried using an amber ale as a base for a fruit beer? I am thinking I'll be doing that to get a little more body than I get with a wheat ale.

Amber ale sounds good to me. I brew a raspberry vienna lager which is somewhat like an "amber" lager. It's my house beer I always have on tap.

Sent from my iPhone

I was thinking about the ruby from mcmenamins out in the northwest, does anyone know what the base is for that beer?

Back