Fruit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sk8masta88

Reaction score
I believe fruit has sugars that are fermentable, if not then dis regard my question. I am wondering if by putting fruit in secondary fermenter with the beer, then the beer will have enough sugar to carbonate come bottling time? I have accidentally made bottle bombs with a Mead when I added some apples and cherries during the racking process. So this time around with my blackberry wheat, I'd like to not create bottle bombs from excess sugars.

Just wait for the sugar in the fruits to ferment out. A week should be plenty enough, especially if you pure those blackberries to make the sugar easily available. I never tried blackberries but I've heard the the skin of blueberries really protects the fruit from releasing the sugars.

This link of more beer as a charts that states that blackberries contain 7% sugar by weight: https://www.morebeer.com/articles/fruit_in_beer

You can use that number to estimate how much sugar will be added from the fruits. Fruits sugar are highly fermentable and will dry out the beer if used in big quantities.

Latest posts

Back