Fruit and racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkshardx

Reaction score
Hey all, I've recently done two 3gal batches of saisons which I then racked onto fruit after a week of fermentation. My question now is: Should I rack off the fruit into another carboy and let the yeast clean-up/ finish fermenting the sugars from the fruit? I have a feeling that there are going to be unfermented sugars if I rack right into the bottling bucket from the fruit, leading to overcarbonation at best. What's the general procedure for going from fruit in secondary to bottling? Thanks!

i've done banana's, coconut, blueberries, raspberries, strawberry/rhubarb. they've all been in blonde/cream ale's and i have always just left them in secondary on the fruit for approx 2 weeks, then package.

however - i am about to add nectarines to a sour blonde, and will soon be adding tart cherries to an old english ale sour. I'll probably leave them in longer due to the brett and lacto/pedio in the sours, to let them do their things for longer.

so i guess the question comes down to....who will be fermenting the fruit! for saison's, i would imagine just leaving it on the fruit a few weeks would be sufficient.

Back