Fruit Addition in Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bierliebhaber

Reaction score
I've always added my fruit to the secondary, but I'm preparing to brew my annual batch of apricot hefe for the wife and was thinking of adding the fruit puree to the primary once fermentation begins. I figured it's a hefe and this will speed up the process from bucket to bottle. Any thoughts/concerns? TIA

The only argument I've heard for fruit in the secondary is getting more of the flavor. Well, that and only wanting fruit in the beer for around a week.

I wouldn't add it to the primary. If you do, for the most part, the only thing you will gain is extra fermentables and really not much flavor from the fruit. I always add fruit to the secondary just for this reason.

Yeah, thanks for the responses. I did a search before I posted, but didn't have much that was helpful. After I posted, the related posts at the bottom had exactly what I was looking for...pretty much what you guys said--scrubbing the flavor. I just figure I'll primary for 10 days then rack onto puree for 7 days and see where I'm at. Using wlp320, so it should move along nicely. Thanks again.

I just did a raspberry wheat (American wheat base) and added 3.75 pounds of smashed raspberries right to the primary, but waited until after primary fermentation was done (2 weeks after brew date). Berries sat for 7 days. I just kegged it last night and the berry color, flavor, and smell are right on. I don't use a secondary, but this batch turned out fine. The key might have been waiting until main fermentation was over so this may not help you in terms of saving time but it was accomplished in the primary saving the hassle of racking to a secondary.

I actually emailed dogfish head about their festina peche. They recommended adding their peach puree right to the primary. This is for a sour beer that will age for a few months. But man it still has such a peachy flavor. Because of this I consider the primary/secondary issue to be largely unnecessary.

Why not wait for primary to cool down, then add fruit?
Never had problems doing this with fruit beers...
Plus, why secondary? You've read the threads about this, I'm sure.

Back