Frozen yeast bank question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k-daddy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm embarking on starting a frozen yeast bank by over growing my next starter. I've combed the internet and have seen most of the articles and videos so I think I'm comfortable with the process. I have a couple of unanswered questions though.

1. How do you calculate yeast viability (%) over time once the yeast is frozen?

2. Since I don't have the ability to count yeast cells, how do I know I've grown enough cells (using stepped up starters from a thawed vial) for a 5 gallon batch with a gravity of around 1.060+/-?

3. Is there a way to approximate yeast count by ml volume?

In terms of yeast bank volume per vial, my plan is to follow the guidelines as described in the attached link which looks to be approximately 5-6ml yeast slurry mixed with 5-6ml of 25% glycerin/75% water mixture per vial for a total of 10-12ml in each 15ml vial.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/guide-to-making-a-frozen-yeast-bank.35891/

Last edited:
Thank you very much! I found the first link very helpful. I'm still unsure, and perhaps there is no good answer, how to calculate loss of viability (in %) over time of yeast that has been frozen. I would hate to drastically under or over pitch my wort. The different yeast growth calculator methods (for a stir plate) also seem to yield vastly different results which seems to further confuse the issue. I like the idea of the savings in yeast cost and always having some on hand but would like more precision in yeast count without having to invest in additional equipment.

more precision in yeast count without having to invest in additional equipment.

I don't think that is possible. It is all a guessing game unless you actually take counts of known volumes under a microscope.

Back