Frozen Wyeast, your thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
My first use of live yeast and the package arrives frozen. Is this yeast going to be ok?

Sorry for the newbie question, but I have always used dry and this recipe requires a Belgian strain.

bring it to room temperature, and to be on the safe side, prepare a starter. If its an activator pack, the pack swelling will tell you there are at least some viable cells in there.

In most cases, no, yeast do not survive well being frozen without proper preparation. Your best bet would be to make a starter to determine yeast viability... that way, if they are all bad, you are only out a quick starter batch instead of a whole one. If they come to life, then carry on with your brew day.

It says right on the pkg "do not freeze"
:-(

Yeah the problem is that the delivery people don't know whats inside, so its sat in there back of there freezing or hot as hell trucks. Just make a starter and you should be fine.

I would contact whoever you bought it from and let them know it arrived frozen and see if they will send you a new one if you cannot get the current one to start fermenting in a starter. If they say no, ask them how to return their merchandise.

The merchant is generally responsible for the quality of the product up until the point that it reaches your hands and you accept delivery.

I have a package in transit right now I hope it will be okay, I have a beligum yeast in there. Its a long way from Austin to El Paso :(... We have had freezing temperature this whole week, it hit 8 degrees the other day.

I always make starters, so we will see.

I can't see how it's the vendors fault when someone orders a liquid product that will freeze in the middle of winter.

_

Out of the 150 Billion or so cells - it's reasonable to believe that a few million cells survived.

Allow it to warm up, make a small starter & then step it up in a few days.

Don't assume it's dead. Don't bother smacking it. Just prepare a starter, pitch the yeast and it should ferment out in 24-36 hours. If not, it's dead.

Honestly, I'd be stunned if there are no viable cells left.

Thanks for the replies. I did intend to do a starter. I will make provisons to do the starter twice.

I can't see how it's the vendors fault when someone orders a liquid product that will freeze in the middle of winter.

_

Agreed... I think its generally out of the vendors hands once it leaves their warehouse. After that its all on the delivery service, however most vendors will exchange or refund for the most part to keep business.

Agreed... I think its generally out of the vendors hands once it leaves their warehouse. After that its all on the delivery service, however most vendors will exchange or refund for the most part to keep business.

I agree

The pack swelled after smacking and the starter was a success after a few glitches, but the yeast did survive the arctic ride from Atlanta.
Thanks for the encouragement.

My last few smack packs have been partially frozen on arrival. I've always been concerned about viability, but they have all sprung back. Slow thaw in the fridge, smack and starter, and I've always had a pretty vigorous fermentation.

Back