Frozen Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDanimal

Reaction score
So I bought a practically brand new mini fridge from my friend for cheap, and decided I'd try lagering in it. Getting the temperature is a little tricky because the thermostat has numbers 1 to 5. So when lagering, you want the temp a little above freezing...well I accidentally froze mine. I'm assuming it will be alright if I leave it at room temperature until it thaws and then put it back in the fridge, hopefully after I've figured out the proper setting. Just thought I'd run this by the forum to see what people have to say...

Worst case, you will have to re-pitch the yeast. Since you are thawing at room temperature, it should be obvious if the yeast is still active once thawed.

Should be okay with more yeast. Palmer said he froze one of his and it went on to win a bunch of awards and crap. Check out the lager section of howtobrew.com for details.

david_42 said:
Worst case, you will have to re-pitch the yeast. Since you are thawing at room temperature, it should be obvious if the yeast is still active once thawed.

Cheyco said:
Should be okay with more yeast. Palmer said he froze one of his and it went on to win a bunch of awards and crap. Check out the lager section of howtobrew.com for details.

It's been in the primary at 50 to 55 deg F for 7 days (per the recipe) already and then I racked to secondary. Shouldn't most of the fermentation be over with already?

homebrewer_99 said:
Did you remember to put a giant stick into it so we can all come by and take a lick?
I forgot the stick...but maybe I should sumbit a similar idea to Ben & Jerry's:D

It sounds like you're at the actual lagering phase (long term storage at near freezing temps) and not the fermentation phase done at 50*. If so, it makes no difference if your beer freezes or not other than the lagering process pretty well stops while it's frozen.

Lots of people think that beer must be tossed out if it freezes, I usually serve them one of my eisbocks, then tell them how it was made!

Back