Frozen Keg = 100% Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nm2769

Reaction score
Man I hate to admit to it but I froze a keg of Coffee Stout. Prior to being frozen the Stout was one the best I have brewed so far. Just the right amount of head and tasted great. Went away for the weekend and came home to a frozen keg. I defrosted it slowly and the keg is still holding pressure. No damage to the keg. Problem is now that when poured it is solid foam. Looks like a slurpy machine at the gas station. Any ideas on how to tame the foam. Keg is 38 degrees @ 10psi it has been sitting this way for 4 day and still all foam. Time to buy a temp controller I guess.

Thankx in advance
Nick

After warming it back up, did you vent any pressure from the keg? If it was sitting on 10psi of pressure during the time that it froze, it's probably just overcarbed now and you will need to let some gas out.

Yes after it defrosted I did vent the gas off and reconnected to the CO2 and set to 10psi.

you will probably need to do that for several days to get the pressure dropped back down to an actual 10psi.

Do you think I should leave it off the gas and just vent it a couple of times a day over the weekend and hook it back up next week?

I think I will set up an air lock on the gas side and just let it blow off for a few days. I can't loose this batch it is way to good.

Update. I let the keg vent through a air lock all weekend. Hooked the CO2 back up on Monday and set to 12 PSI waited two weeks. Tapped it tonight and it was perfect just the right amount of head and no ill taste. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back