Frozen fruit for a sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xpops

Reaction score
I have a blonde sour that I'd really like to add nectarines to. It's already been in a secondary for a yr, and I'd love to get it into bottles. The problem is that nectarines are still 4+ months away!

Has anyone had any luck using store bought frozen fruit for their fruit sours??

Thank you!!

Short answer: absolutely yes. Add to carboy let thaw and rack on top ( purge w CO2 ) if possible.

OK great, I assumed as well - but now about adding the fruit...

It's already in a secondary with a pellicle formed, and it's sitting on wine soaked oak cubes. If I don't want to transfer again, would I be able to fill headspace with CO2, gently add fruit, then purge again? I would assume any oxygen that were to be introduced, would just feed/be consumed by the yeast when it ferments any sugars in the fruit?? I plan to let the fruit sit for 6-8 weeks or until everything stabilizes again.

Thanks for the help ! It's clearly my first sour :)

Cheers,

yes frozen fruit is fine ive used raspbeery and blackberry smash them up in there bag they come in while there frozen its easy to break it up frozen and easier to get into the fermentor in smaller pieces also helps with flavor extraction. just dump into secondary no need to transfer and yes you should get some new activity which will create new co2 . purging shouldn't hurt if you have the ability

Back