Frozen for 3 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blisterman

Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago, I brewed a batch of lager with the intention of leaving it outside under shelter while I went home for Christmas.
Where I live, the weather outside rarely ventures below freezing, so I assumed it would be alright.

However I hadn't anticipated that this would be the coldest winter England's had in nearly 40 years. I arrived back last week to find a 4 inch thick layer of ice on my beer.
I brought it inside, let it defrost and took a hydrometer reading. Fermentation hadn't started at all. I left it 2 days, and the airlock is bubbling away now.

Would this be alright? It's been nearly 3 weeks sitting there with no fermentation and partially frozen?

Yeah, it sounds like everthing is fine...If it had fermented you could have played around with freeze distillation, which we all just found out last year, thanks to basic brewing radio, is actually LEGAL.

Thanks guys. I've just taken a Hydrometer reading of about 1.026, so it's definitely fermenting. Had a taste and it's alright can't taste anything wrong there.
The weather forcast is looking better for the next few days, so I've brought it back outside. At least I can keep an eye on it now.

Should be okay. Since it was too cold to ferment, any bacteria would have been crippled as well.

Taken abother reading today. Still at 1.026.
Seems pretty high

Do you think it's finished fermenting or should I add more yeast?

30 years ago, "everyone" was predicting a new ice age.

10 years ago, "everyone" was predicting a new desert age (for lack of a better term).

Nowadays, how about people just say that it's too hard to predict the future based on the limited observations that is direct, scientific measurement the environment.

yeah its funny that while its warming its global warming now its getting colder and its "global climate change" how quickly people change their tune.

yeah its funny that while its warming its global warming now its getting colder and its "global climate change" how quickly people change their tune.

It's always been called global climate change by people who study these things. Global warming was a term coined by people who had no idea what they were talking about, i.e., green yuppies, hippies and the media.

The idea is that some places will get colder (northern Europe, some parts of North America), while other places will get hotter (Africa, Asia) due to disruptions in jet streams and ocean currents.

I can't believe a legitimate post got railed by climate talks... I'd like to hear the outcome of the brew minus the cannon fodder... Cheers!

Taken abother reading today. Still at 1.026.
Seems pretty high

Do you think it's finished fermenting or should I add more yeast?

What are the temps? might have gone into hibernation from the cold - it might want to be a bit warmer if you've got it outside?

Back