from OG.1.052 to 1.016 in 5 days is this ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommy1858

Reaction score
I pitched a 3 gallon batch onto a yeast cake from a 5 gallon batch and in 5 days the fg was on target. also can i just throw another batch right on top of that yeast cake when i rack it off? How many times can i do this?

You can do it over and over. 5X is about the time some people stay the yeast can start to mutate, but you'll find people on here who do it 10X with no flavor issues.

You can do it over and over. 5X is about the time some people stay the yeast can start to mutate, but you'll find people on here who do it 10X with no flavor issues.

IIRC, there is a guy that did this for about 20 years with the same strain. I'm not certain how he washed it, but it's probably documented somewhere online - he's well-known. Charlie Papazian.

i didnt wash it i just poured the new wort straight on the cake. the gravity sample tasted good too lol. it a very pale ale and also my first brew using Citra hops

This is something that I am interested in looking into at some point but I don't brew enough to warrant messing with it. Also I only have enough equipment to have two batches at a time.

Here is what I am curious to know. If you buy a vial of white lab yeast, couldn't you "grow" it somehow and then make several vials to pop into the fridge for later use?

I don't know how long that would keep in the fridge, but that could potentially be a big money saver.

This is something that I am interested in looking into at some point but I don't brew enough to warrant messing with it. Also I only have enough equipment to have two batches at a time.

Here is what I am curious to know. If you buy a vial of white lab yeast, couldn't you "grow" it somehow and then make several vials to pop into the fridge for later use?

I don't know how long that would keep in the fridge, but that could potentially be a big money saver.

Yes you can do something like that, use the search function and you´ll find tons of information rigth here: you can cultere yeast, make a yeast bank, reuse yeast, wash yeast, etc, etc, etc.

i didnt wash it i just poured the new wort straight on the cake. the gravity sample tasted good too lol. it a very pale ale and also my first brew using Citra hops

Yep, that's OK too. Ideally you would separate the yeast from the rest of the gunk.

There's a way of washing with a weak acid that will kill bacteria but leave the yeast alive. I've never done that but is sounds like a good idea.

Back