from Morgan Hill ca... (near San Jose)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomedumbJerk

Reaction score
Just moved here from Philadelphia... what a change. great little town rural and all that. i've been brewing for about a year now, and i'm on the path to all grain. like hops.. kind of pricey anymore. and i'm awful at intro's. Hi!

Welcome to the forums. You can learn a lot here and have some fun while doing so. I'm just over the hill from you on the cooler side.

Oh dear god! I grew up in that "great little town" you're now in. As a teenager, it sucked... but I digress... welcome! Glad to see more Bay Area'ers around here!

Welcome! Reminds me I need to do my own intro.

Like Brewing Clamper I also grew up in "the Mo Hi". My folks still live there so I am down there pretty often. I live in Petaluma -- North Bay -- now. One thing Morgan Hill has going for it is the El Toro Brewing Company. I generally bring a 6 pack home with me -- I have not found their beers around here. I've not been to their brewpub in the former Police Station (which before that was the Bank of America).

Brewing Clamper, did you go to Live Oak High? Class of '91 here. Go Acorns! :p

SomeDumbJerk, where is the LHBS these days? Used to be there was a great shop called Let's Brew. Not only were they a brew supply store, but also a gathering place for the local British diaspora, serving beer and food. Gone now though.

Welcome. I'm pretty new here as well, but I've been learning a lot. 4 brew under my belt an 2 of them are in 4 different contests now. Bakerstreet, i'll be passing throu Petaluma at the end of July. we need to stay in touch and I'll bring a 6 pack of my IPA or Belgian Wheat to trade.

Welcome. I went to El Toro Brewing and had their Duece, a double IPA. In a word - Excellent. Funny how the beer tastes better when your out of town. Kinda like the grass is greener .....
If you could glean the recipe from them I would be very much appreciated.
I would brew it and drop you off a sixer on my way to and from SFSU and SJSU (my 2 sons schools).

Class of '93 baby. My mother lives in Gilroy so I drive down there pretty often. Her favorite b-fast place is the old "Just 4 Breakfast" so we're there at least once or twice a month. I've yet to try El Toro's stuff. The food did not look good at all when I stopped by once and since I was pretty hungry for something decent, I passed. I'll have to go for the beer one of these days though...

Brewing Clamper said:
Class of '93 baby. My mother lives in Gilroy so I drive down there pretty often. Her favorite b-fast place is the old "Just 4 Breakfast" so we're there at least once or twice a month. I've yet to try El Toro's stuff. The food did not look good at all when I stopped by once and since I was pretty hungry for something decent, I passed. I'll have to go for the beer one of these days though...

I've picked up six packs of the El Toro D'Oro (Pale Ale) and their IPA. Both were very tasty. Haven't recently tried their flagship beer, the Poppy Jasper Amber. I hear that it's pretty widely available on tap in San Francisco.

Yeah Bay Area. My wife is from Marin and we're down all the time. Check out Marin Brewco! And the dude from Petaluma is stoked - right in the backyard of Lagunitas.

Welcome! Questions? They can be answered on the HBT!

yup, Mo Hill is a little town... but el toro is awesome! Geno (brew master) is a good guy, and makes great beer! he has the poppy jasper on tap, dry hopped with either simcoe, columbus, centennial or i want to say magnum hops. it's called the extra hoppy poppy... great stuff. also the duece.. and i always get one of the bravo IPA's. bravo is a hop i'm hoping to aquire a rhizome of...
i've only been here since Jan. and i haven't been around much. Santa Cruz is pretty sweet, esp. if you ride mountain bikes! let me know if you guys are passing though, we'll grab a beer at El Toro, or swap some homebrews!

and the only LHBS i've been to is the retail location of Morebeer.com in Palo Alto. this guy helped me out a bunch and was completely awesome. i didn't catch his name though... kinda young and short beard... told me 10% off with a sample!

SomedumbJerk said:
...and the only LHBS i've been to is the retail location of Morebeer.com in Palo Alto. this guy helped me out a bunch and was completely awesome. i didn't catch his name though... kinda young and short beard... told me 10% off with a sample!

I think you're talking about Phil. He's a really cool dude, he used to own that store when it was Fermentation Frenzy and now he's the manager of that morebeer.

I'll chime in that the folk at fermentation frenzy/morebeer are really great. I'm from the Philly area too - love the lack of humidity, miss the steaks (in particular from John's Roast Pork).

beardguy said:
I'll chime in that the folk at fermentation frenzy/morebeer are really great. I'm from the Philly area too - love the lack of humidity, miss the steaks (in particular from John's Roast Pork).

i used to live right near that place! i loved nicks roast beef too.... but most of all, i miss pretzels, water ice, pizza and wawa!

If the pizza you're missing is the thin, roll-up kind (as I miss), there is a great place up in San Fran, a block away from Toronado (GREAT beer bar). Damn if I can remember the name though... we did go there after Toronado

yesterdy i found a great place in morgan hill, called Sal's. he calls it boston style. and they have sam adams on tap, which is respectable for a pizza shop

Back