From Libya to Zimbabwe to Indonesia...I'm back!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Bob

Reaction score
I haven't visited in awhile. Since evacuating Libya I have been bouncing around. I was holding out some hope that I would eventually be able to get my household belongings back from Tripoli but the places were either looted and/or burned. So it is all gone.

But that is OK! My family is safe and we have the opportunity to buy new stuff. I have been here in Zimbabwe on temporary duty the past couple months but in about a month I will be reporting, with my family, to my next permanent assignment in Jakarta, Indonesia.

I'm excited about that. There is a lot to do there. I'm looking forward to getting back into brewing. I still don't know if I will be in a house or a highrise apartment. They both have their advantages and disadvantages but if I am in a house I think I will go ahead and move up to brewing AG. I also think CO2 is easy to get there, unlike in Libya, so I also think I will try my hand at kegging.

So from a brewing standpoint I hope they put us in a house. If they do I am going to go all out on gear. Yes, Indonesia is also a Muslim country. But there are Muslim countries and then there are Muslim countries. Jarkata has its fair share of bars and alcohol is readily available. Hell, they even have strip clubs. I mean, come on, it is still South East Asia. :)

So I am back and will be picking people's brains again.

Yes, Indonesia is also a Muslim country. But there are Muslim countries and then there are Muslim countries. Jarkata has its fair share of bars and alcohol is readily available. Hell, they even have strip clubs. I mean, come on, it is still South East Asia. :)

I spend time in Indonesia every year. Jakarta traffic is the biggest turn-off. I can never really get used to the litter issues all over Indonesia either, in truth. Other than that, great place to be for a while in my opinion. Great people, great culture, great food.

Don't let apartment life steer you away from AG. I live in an apartment and switched to AG some time ago. Still do everything on the stove-top just like I did when doing extract. The only difference to me is the added time and one more brew pot.

Back