From Kettle to Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How do you get the wort from the kettle to the carboy? Please use specifics.

I tried a 3/8" ID siphon tube and sucked up a ton of hops and it flopped around a lot. It was also too slow. Maybe I should've used a 1/2" ID tube? I still need a way of keeping it where I want it in the kettle. And there's no way a racking cane can handle that level of trub.

So how do you get your wort from the kettle to the carboy? And people with spout fittings directly on their kettle can go suck an egg. :p Thanks.

I use an immersion chiller after it cool's i ladle it into my bottling bucket then drain into carboy to aerate. I take care to sanitize everthing

I use a 3/8" racking cane. If you get enough elevation difference between your kettle and carboy, it will suck a golf ball through the siphon hose!

I pick up the kettle and pour the wort into a large kitchen seive sitting on either my primary bucket or a funnel sitting on my better bottle. I just pour until I start getting a lot of hops in the strainer or I hit 5.25 gallons.

Hang on...Just have to finish sucking this egg...

Get the biggest strainer you can find and lay it over your bucket. Pour away. Don't bother with anything smaller than 6 inches, it just won't work that well.

Before I had an egg to suck on, I used a large (8") conical strainer (think restaurant supply). It has a hook on one end and a long handle, so it sits on top of a bucket nicely. Use your priming bucket and then rack over to the carboy. [I'd post a picture, but my sandisk isn't talking to the computer this morning and I don't feel like rebooting.] I still use it on occasion when the bazooka clogs.

Back