Frigidaire FFBC46L2QS as Keggerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MockY

Reaction score
Manufacturer: Frigidaire
Model: FFBC46L2QS

This thread probably does not belong in the DIY forum, since all I did was drill a few holes and installed a tap tower. But I'd like to add yet another fridge to the database of fridges that can be converted. The more we have, the better.

This fridge was by no means intended to become a keggerator. My wife bought it a few years back from Lowe's for the game room, and I still grind my teeth thinking about the cost of this thing (it's only purpose was to house my commercial craft beer for crying out loud). However, since I just started burning for home brew and the fact that this fridge can't accommodate both low and tall profile bottles properly, I have never really liked this fridge as a beer bottle container.

So, with that said, it is a nice looking fridge so I decided to convert it to put it to much better use.

It fits two (2) Cornelius kegs as well as a 5lb co2 tank on the compressor shelf. They don't fit right next to each other, but it still works. However, I'm delighted they even fit at all.

I keep the thermostat at 39 and it currently has a Oatmeal Stout in the right keg. I'm a week away to keg a Pale Ale. The only thing I need to keep an eye on is the beer lines easily touch the cooling element in the back which freezes the line in a moments notice. They are lightly taped to the back of the kegs but I may get some pipe insulation in the future.

10157124_10151983740782927_974351023_n.jpg

Hi, I just recently received this same fridge and plan on converting to a tower unit. How'd you know where to drill on top of the fridge?

I've seen people in the past suggest to peel off the top of the fridge, but obviously that only works with plastic tops...

Thanks!

How'd you know where to drill on top of the fridge?

I didn't know for sure as I could not find any schematic anywhere. However, the top of the fridge does not get hot as far as I can tell, but the sides do, indicating that you should probably not drill there but it's all systems go on the top. At least where I drilled :)

I essentially gambled a bit and drilled precisely in the middle towards the back, just enough to not hit the element inside the fridge as I went through the wall. If I had the chance to redo it, I would probably gone a couple of inches further towards the front since the freezing element in the back tend to frost over from time to time, causing the tubes to be pressed against the wall of the whole and ultimately freeze the line. But this does not happen very often so it's not a big deal. Besides, the kegs may not have fit inside if I did.

I can try to measure exactly where the center of the hole I made is once I get the chance if you'd like.

Thanks for the reply!

If you don't mind measuring, I'd be grateful as I was looking to put mine in a similar place.

I haven't found any other info on turning this fridge into a kegerator, so any info you provide is helpful.

Also, have you tried fitting a 1/6 gallon and a corney in the fridge at the same time (in addition to the CO2 tank).

Thanks again!

Not a home brewing question, but I found this google searching the frigidaire model number... Do either of you still have the shelves for the frigidaire and want to sell them? We have a similar model with wire shelves and want the kind that came in your model instead. Thanks!

Back