Fried Contactor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlbeer

Reaction score
So I says to him "found your problem".

View attachment IMG_2316.jpg

The result of running 5500w elements on a 25amp circuit. Luckily the GFCI breaker tripped and prevented a likely fire.

This is a lesson to size your components properly for the load. New 40amp contactors/breakers/wiring installed.

putting the 40a stuff in was a good move but a 5500w element should only draw 23 amps at most.. If that was really a quality contactor rated for 25a, That shouldnt have happened... as you can see the actual wire connection points burned up from too much resistance at the connection points ... Is that the "input" side of the relay? I think the wire connection going it might have been the real issue here..
Ive been using 25a omron relays (http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMRON-G7L-2...584106&hash=item58b65340e9:g:LLgAAOSwax5YtaM6) and ssrs for years with zero issues.. Just as I use 12 -14 amp devices plugged into my 15amp wall outlets without fear...

The pic is of the outlet side of the contactor. Wire was stripped to the specified length molded in the side of the contractor. It does appear to be a cheaply made product though.

Input or output side doesn't matter, the same current flows thru both. It could be that the connector design was inadequate, or the wire clamps may not have been torqued correctly. But, definitely an issue with the wire connections.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back