Fridge with controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strecker25

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i have our old fridge downstairs that I will be using as a ferm chamber. I'm thinking I may just stick with the Johnson digital controller, but had a thought on using the freezer separately

Is there any way to wire up a controller to only manage the refrigerator portion? As it stands, if I just plugged into the controller, the freezer would shut off everytime. I'd like to keep hops in the freezer, not to mention it would be continuously cycling when the controller kicks on. Any insight is helpful, thanks!

Hey everyone, i have our old fridge downstairs that I will be using as a ferm chamber. I'm thinking I may just stick with the Johnson digital controller, but had a thought on using the freezer separately

Is there any way to wire up a controller to only manage the refrigerator portion? As it stands, if I just plugged into the controller, the freezer would shut off everytime. I'd like to keep hops in the freezer, not to mention it would be continuously cycling when the controller kicks on. Any insight is helpful, thanks!

Fridges don't have separate compressors for the freezer and fridge sections. Fans are used to manage the temperature between the two chambers, so no, you can't run the freezer but have the fridge controlled separately.

That said, if you turned the freezer control up to max, and the fridge control to min, the whole unit would have to run longer to maintain the fridge temp cooler than ambient. Still this would not let you reliably use the freezer to keep things frozen...

Latest posts

Back