Fridge / Freezer Conversion to Fridge-only?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarmanBean

Reaction score
Hey folks. First post here. A friend and I are getting into brewing with our second batch (an IPA) now in the second fermenter. After the first round, we pretty much decided that we would prefer to keg our beer moving forward.

I stumbled across a free top-bottom fridge/freezer combo. Pretty standard. I have a dedicated upright freezer so I don’t really need any more freezer space and I would really like to convert the upper freezer portion so that it is just more refrigerator space.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Easy / difficult? I’m not well versed in refrigeration, but I’m fairly handy. Only thing that crosses my mind really is trying to track down a fridge thermostat and install it in place of the freezer thermostat. Is this realistic? Where would the thermostat be located?

Thanks in advance!

If you want control over the complete unit, bypass both thermostats and wire directly to the compressor motor, with something like an STC-1000. There are many here that could help you.

If you want control over the complete unit, bypass both thermostats and wire directly to the compressor motor, with something like an STC-1000. There are many here that could help you.

Thanks, I'll definitely look into that--guessing it's just a standalone thermostat of some sort?

The fridge isn't quite full-sized. It's like an apartment sized fridge/freezer. That being the case, I don't think it will ever be used for anything but a kegerator / beer fridge so whatever is simple / cheap should work fine. Hopefully that makes sense? I guess if I can just get the whole thing to run at about 36* or so that would be awesome :)

STC-1000 actually looks pretty simple now that I'm looking at it. Would be curious about how to install exactly and whether it would really work :confused:

Bump?

So far, research seems to be saying that if I try to control the whole thing with one thermostat that the compressor will be kicking on / off way too often? This might be one of those "just not worth it" scenarios...maybe just roll with what I have for now and keep an eye out for a freezer / upright fridge-only for down the road.

I was experimenting with my upright fridge last week and I sealed up the duct from the fan in the freezer so that all of the cold air was directed to the fridge before it returned to the freezer. With a temperature controller, I imagine that the temperature differential would be reduced significantly. I didn't test this, I was trying to figure out how to get my fridge colder. I essentially made a freezer out of both compartments, but adjusting the controller to a higher temp might just work.

Here is mine. My landlord gave the refrigerator to me when I was moving out so I don't know how old it was or how long it was used but it lasted me about three years. I didn't have any problem with the compressor kicking on and off to often.

390296_558711797475503_1514970384_n.jpg

Here is mine. My landlord gave it to me when I was moving out so I don't know how old it was or how long it was used but it lasted me about three years. I didn't have any problem with the compressor kicking on and off to often.

That looks great!

What did you do exactly to get everything to work as needed? Obviously cut the floor out of the freezer (not an issue, really).

Yes, I believe most refrigerators work by blowing air from the freezer into the refrigerator. So I just ripped out the divider and placed the refrigerator thermostat to the side. I probable could have removed the thermostat to by rewiring it but it was only suppose to be temporary until I built my keezer then two weeks before I finished my keezer it died.

Oh and I just hard wired the temp controller to the refrigerator cord as you can see in the pic.

Here is pic of the thermostat off to the side. But like I said you could remove it by splicing the wires together.

IMG_2327.jpg

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm looking to do something similar. I have a fridge/freezer I aquired that already has taps in it. I'd like to be able to cut the freezer floor out, are there any lines run in that area? Also, if you've done this are there any other issues I need to be aware of? Thanks for any help.

I'm thinkin' you are all "exploratory" on this one, Bro!

Look and see if the "cabinet" for the freezer is held in by some screws, and if so, pull 'em out and see if the cabinet will slide out.

Pull GENTLY!

If any, the screws should be around the perimeter of the opening.

I'm thinkin' you are all "exploratory" on this one, Bro!

That's what I was afraid of, :cross:
I'm going to give it a gander tomorrow and see what I'm working with. The only screws are on the front, but it does look like the plastic "floor" of the freezer is separate from the walls. I'm hoping I can remove the front panel and separate the bottom and get to the insulation and see what's in there. I'll be sure to take pics and start a new thread on what I find.

Nope, not me. I've been busy putting together my 2 temp controllers and haven't gotten around to tackling the fridge yet.

Just jumping in here as im looking to do the same but with an heat sorce inside too i also got a upright fridge freezer for free so should b a good cheap project ill also b using the stc-1000 to control both heat and cooling looking forward to see how its done

Back