American IPA Fresh Squeezed IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed yesterday. Almost verbatim except the 0 minute. Same hops but different amounts. Didn't want a 1/4 ounce laying around so threw it in. Hydrometer sample tasted awesome.

1.074 OG

Did this yesterday for my first all grain, less the oak and with Yeast Bay Vermont Ale yeast. Really looking forward to trying it and will just have to be patient.

I tried this recipe and got 1.025 OG after the mash. I'm very new to brewing so no surprise there. I'm boiling now and hope it will go up after it finishes

I tried this recipe and got 1.025 OG after the mash. I'm very new to brewing so no surprise there. I'm boiling now and hope it will go up after it finishes

What temp was the hydrometer sample? Sounds very low and what was the reading after the boil. Check the calibration of the hydrometer. Mine will read 0.00 at 60f

Finished at 1.016.

Really great tasting IPA. Can't wait til it is dry hopped and kegged.

After the boil it read 1.040. Aweful IMHO. I broke it down to a 2 gallon batch so no real loss there. I'll just try again...and again

Brewing this tomorrow. Only going to do a 60 minute boil due to time constraints and planned on the 90 minute hop addition as a FWH. What should I do with the 60 minute addition? Add it to the FWH, add it at 60, or any other recommendations????

After the boil it read 1.040. Aweful IMHO. I broke it down to a 2 gallon batch so no real loss there. I'll just try again...and again

Can you detail your process and numbers? I'm really curious how you could have undershot your OG by THAT much. Are you sure your volumes were correct?

I'm guessing this is a 10g batch based on the grain bill? How do i get a 5g recipe all grain? Can beersmith scale down from 10g to 5g?

Thanks.

Jamie.

No its a 5 gal batch. I just dry hopped and went to secondary can't wait to get this in the Keg can in at just under 8%abv

Can you detail your process and numbers? I'm really curious how you could have undershot your OG by THAT much. Are you sure your volumes were correct?

I'm just terrible reaching my OG. I am completely relying on getting the most out of my grains by mashing at the right temp for the right amount of time. I can't remember details exactly. I just know I followed the right steps and came up short. My hydrometer is not reading zero with distilled water so I know it's not working properly but it only of by 4 points. Back to the drawing board

I'm just terrible reaching my OG. I am completely relying on getting the most out of my grains by mashing at the right temp for the right amount of time. I can't remember details exactly. I just know I followed the right steps and came up short. My hydrometer is not reading zero with distilled water so I know it's not working properly but it only of by 4 points. Back to the drawing board

Hmm, well I would recommend taking some detailed notes for every brew so you can hash out where things go wrong (as well as recreate successes). It really helps refine your process.

The original posted recipe says it's a 6 gal batch. Is that 6 gals into the fermenter (which would give apporx 5 gals of finished beer) or 6 gals of finished beer (with approx 7 into the fermenter).

thanks,
Mark

No its a 5 gal batch. I just dry hopped and went to secondary can't wait to get this in the Keg can in at just under 8%abv

I have read most pages of this thread but not all, so I apologize if I am asking a redundant question...but can anyone convert this to a 5 gallon EXTRACT recipe? I would really like to try this for my second overall brew, and first IPA. Sounds so good!

I have read most pages of this thread but not all, so I apologize if I am asking a redundant question...but can anyone convert this to a 5 gallon EXTRACT recipe? I would really like to try this for my second overall brew, and first IPA. Sounds so good!

I asked the same question. The responses on page 19, post #181-185, are what you're looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just brewed a 10 gallon batch on Thursday and Had a little more evaporate off than I thought and ended up with more like 9 gallons. The OG turned out to be 1.1 I'm exited to try it

Are there any commercially available beers which are similar in hop profile? I've never used Simcoe and want to get a taste of the flavor before brewing this up.

Thanks!

Trust the recipe. It's the best (double?) IPA I've ever had, homebrew or otherwise.

I just brewed this yesterday as a partial mash BIAB and had surprisingly low efficiency. I mashed 4.2 kg of grain in a 15.2 l pot which was filled to the rim with grain and mash water. The mash was still very wet with no dough balls and I regularly stirred it. I mashed at 67 C with a 75 C mashout for 60 minutes. I then hung the bag over the kettle and sparged with 4 litres of 75 C water in a watering can.

I boiled and added a couple litres of boiling water during the boil to account for evaporation so hop attenuation would not be reduced and added 1.5 kg light LME at 5 mins left in the boil. I then cooled for a 20 min hop stand at 75 C and cooled to 24 deg, poured through muslin, squeezed the wort from the hops in the bag and topped up to 19 l with cold tap water and checked OG which was 1.058. I ended up draining some of the wort from the tap and re-boiling with 800 g DME to get it back up to 1.070 where it was supposed to be.

I have used this brewing method before with 3 kg of grain and achieved 82% efficiency so I am really not sure what went wrong. Any thoughts? Was it too much grain in that pot for an efficient mash?

Just wanted to jump in and say how awesome this beer is. Just tasted mine yesterday after patiently waiting 2 weeks for it to carbonate in the bottle. Easily the best beer I've ever brewed and it tastes like a delicious professional grade IPA.

Pronounced citrusy/piney hop aromas and flavors over a really solid backbone. Alcohol is present on the finish but it's subtle and not hot even though mine finished around 9%. This is a well rounded recipe for sure. Brew it.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408723989.124956.jpg

Wow! Great beer. My first dry hopping. I did have one little problem, 3 days after I added the dry hops, I got called into work. I did one little taste sample, absolutely wonderful. Two and a half weeks later when I get home... Bottle and sample, not near as good as when I left. I will admit, I was a little bummed. Now after being in the bottle ten days, and carbed up, very tasty. Very grapefruity (which is good by me) and just a bit of pine on the back of my tongue. I can't wait to do this again. I've done 4 extract kits and 4 or 5 AG now. This is by far my best and favorite beer.

Trust the recipe. It's the best (double?) IPA I've ever had, homebrew or otherwise.

Well, thank you. Glad to see that people are still enjoying this one.

Well I hope it tastes just as good when it's done, what went into the fermentor was tasty. It's a butt lode of hops in this, very tasty.

I couldn't find cubes, but did find chips. I was just going to toss them in when ready.

I was thinking of brewing a version of this because I don't have any chinook hops. Looking on a hop substitute chart, columbus is a possible substitute. Does anyone have any thoughts on this (good/bad)?

Brewed this before and enjoyed it. IIRC, my brew day had some snags so I'm not sure I hit the intended final product. Looking to revisit it.
My question, and it relates to Konadog above, is what is the difference between chips and cubes. Should the same amount be used if using chips? And what does the use of chips/cubes in primary add to the beer. I noticed nothing in my first batch. Seems like its such a citrus hop bomb that the oak wouldn't overcome that.

What I took from this thread was that the Oak cubes "may" take some of the edge off this brew, but not really add much to the flavor. I was going to use a little less than what was called for with the cubes as there is much more surface area with chips compared to cubes.

It's only been in the carboy for 5 days, but it still smells like orange juice.

Brewed this today as a BIAB. Followed to a tee except I used 1oz of oak chips instead of cubes. I ended up being about 1/2 gallon short into fermenter, but O.G. was spot on. Sample was very tasty. Can't wait for this to be ready.

I have brewed this twice now. The first time the hop bitterness was a bit harsh. I decided to up the two row to 19lbs and shoot for a double IPA. I used Cal ale yeast 001. The higher ABV. put this beer over the top. I am not sure, but I expect that the higher ABV worked to smooth out the hops. I use R.O. water so I usually add salts so I also know that my water was the same.. All I can figure is that the alchahol smoothed out the bitterness.

That said, This beer was good at lower ABV, but as a doulble IPA it was outstanding. Cal ale 001 @ 68 F. Smooth bitterness and alot of it. Alchahol was almost unreconizable. It was so drinkable, and a few seconds later it would hit you. Warm in the belly. I can't remember the exact ABV. I think it was around 9.25 when it was done. The lower end of a doulble IPA, but man this beer was as good as sny comercial 2xIPA i have ever had.

It may have been mentioned in the thread, so I apologize if I'm missing it. First time, and probably the last, I'll ever ask this: If I were to reduce the grain bill to get a 5% beer, how do I calculate the hop reduction as well?

I just don't know how to do this yet as I've never attempted it. My keezer is full of 10, 9.6, 8.7, 8.1......just really high stuff. If I could make one that I wouldn't feel bad giving to people knowing they have to drive home and all, well, this seems like a good one to try it on.

If there's a good resource out there, let me know and I'll take a stab at it. Otherwise, I'll just make the original and call it a day.

Thanks!

Tasted after 1 week on bottle, really really nice ipa! My first ipa and a beer I immediately thought "damn, I made this?!". Thanks for the recipe!

Back