Fresh Junipers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardedSquash

Reaction score
Hiking in Middle Tennessee last weekend, I came across a bush exploding with blue Juniper berries. I took just over 1/2 ounce home with me, and I want to add them to a Robust Porter.

My previous spice experience dictates that I soak them in vodka to make an extract. I did this, and an article about these berries confirmed that exposure to air can cause the flavor to decrease rapidly.

Has anyone had experience with fresh berries? The only other suggestions I could find were to add dry berries to the secondary. Has anyone tried to use Juniper berries this way?

What I do know about Juniper is the oils can be REALLY bad for you. Juniper oils will sit on the brain for quite some time. Juniper oil will cause increased aggression as it builds, in most people.

This is also true for cheap Gin.

Just an FYI...

BTW I have no idea what the oil concentration is like in the berries...

i had some sahti at New Belgium over GABF and now they've bottled it. i picked one up but haven't opened it yet. Its made with Juniper berries along with some other ingredients

“Inspired by Finnish Sahti, a traditional rye ale brewed with juniper, Trip IV is a hazy amber ale with a sturdy mouthfeel and a crisp and lively ‘finnish.’ Brewed with Pale, Crystal, rye malts and whole oats, Trip IV is bittered with Cascade and finished with Cascade and Amarillo hops. Juniper boughs are added to the mash and juniper berries, orange & lemon peel are pitched in the whirlpool creating a festive olfactory of citrus and juniper notes. Starting gravity 17.9° plato 6% alcohol by volume 7.2% by weight.”

Back