Fresh Bergamots for use in white beer, suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of fresh Bergamots. I thought of using them for a white beer in place of the classic bitter orange zest as they are also bitter and the flavor might go well with the style.
1) Anything specific I should keep in mind ?
2) is it ok to leave the white part on the zest or is that providing too much bitterness?
3) how to sanitize before addition into fermenter or at bottling? (I though of pasteurizing for like 30 min at 60 degree, to kill bacteria but retain most of the aroma).

Cheers and thanks!
DEM

Use the bergamot just as you would orange zest.
Minimize the amount of white matter in the peel to keep bitterness down and use it in the boil during the last few minutes to get the aromatics.
I love Earl and lady Grey tea, the aroma should be interesting with hops.

I've had the same idea, add some to a witbier, maybe with a little ginger as well. I would add the bergamot at bottling/kegging. Use just the zest, no pith, soak in a couple ounces of vodka the day before bottling/kegging, let it soak overnight, then add just the flavored vodka to the finished beer. I wouldn't boil it.

I would add the bergamot at bottling/kegging.
Is there a particular reason why you recommend this instead of during boil? typical recipe calls for short boiling the peel and the coriander. I kind of dislike having to add vodka to the beer.
I never done it before and maybe has no risk, but I am afraid it will alter the flavor?

I was thinking of a double addition, at end boil and a few days before bottling.
I am planning to have about 4 gallons at end of the boil, adding 20g (0.7oz) of fresh bergamot and 20g of coriander 10 min before boil off. Then add more bergamot aroma at bottling if necessary, by boiling some zest together with priming sugar.

Adding to the boil or during primary fermentation will result in a significant loss of aromatics. If you wish to maximize aroma, you can indeed add at the end of the boil, but you won't get as much aroma there as when you add at the very end of fermentation at bottling/kegging time. If maximizing aroma is not a big deal to you, then just add at the end of the boil.

Another option is to remove a few ounces of the finished beer the day of bottling or kegging, heat the coriander and zest to about 160 F in that liquid for about 15 minutes, then cool and return the flavored beer to the main batch. Then you don't need to boil, don't need to add vodka, and won't lose as much aromatics.

Lots of options to think about.

Last edited:
Great info, thank you both!

Another option is to remove a few ounces of the finished beer the day of bottling or kegging, heat the coriander and zest to about 160 F in that liquid for about 15 minutes, then cool and return the flavored beer to the main batch. Then you don't need need to boil, don't need to add vodka, and won't lose as much aromatics.
But I am curious why would you boil in the beer instead of the priming sugar solution? I have to boil priming sugar in a bit of water anyway to make sure it is sanitized, what is the advantage of boiling in beer then? Sorry, for asking more, I am just curious!

But I am curious why would you boil in the beer instead of the priming sugar solution? I have to boil priming sugar in a bit of water anyway to make sure it is sanitized, what is the advantage of boiling in beer then? Sorry, for asking more, I am just curious!

Very true, that will work as well. Why didn't I think of that?! :)

Back