French Vanilla Columbian Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroBrews

Reaction score
Our home run brewery is looking to morph a milk stout into a french vanilla coffee milk stout. Our thoughts are to use columbian coffee beans and vanilla bean in our grain steeping process. Though, I've heard the vodka method for the vanilla beans. We may venture that way. This being our first real brew that we've taken the reigns and drastically made our own, so we're a little unsure of about how much of each bean to use to achieve a good flavor balance. It's going to be a 5 gallon brew. Does anyone have any pointers or ratios to try out? Any sort of ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

I recently made a coffee vanilla porter in which I mashed the coffee with my grains. I used 8oz ground coffee in a 10gal batch and ended up with a very mild, rounded, but present coffee flavor.
No info on vanilla bean.

I like the idea of adding coffee to the mash. I am working on a cocoa kona stout and may have to try this.

As for the vanilla, I am just doing a bean in secondary to aid in bring out the chocolate... this is for 5 gallons so i am not looking for a vanilla smack.

Latest posts

Back